Pandora Owners' Thoughts About Paint Finish?

Arkay Firestar

Very Active Member
Was curious if folks could comment on their level of satisfaction with the final paint job? I had completely pushed any worry about the paint out of my mind after the first few recipients either loved it or they didn't mention it as a con, but recent reviews seem to cite the paint job as a negative and I'd just like to temper my expectations (which were that I wouldn't tell the difference between the pandora and other painted electronics) and avoid disappointment when mine ultimately arrives.

I am ambivalent towards the paint, as I'm sure most people would be if they hadn't been told about it (and therefore didn't know about it) in the first place.

I was in the first batch of pandoras sent out and I've played mine loads and I can report NO paint problems at all here and besides even if it was to flake off which it isn't it's black underneath anyhow :)

Pleng said:
I am ambivalent towards the paint, as I'm sure most people would be if they hadn't been told about it (and therefore didn't know about it) in the first place.

why even post

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't decided yet. One pro is that it keeps the machine from getting sweaty.

SomeGuy99 said:
I haven't decided yet. One pro is that it keeps the machine from getting sweaty.
It breeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaths

Someone mentioned in a review that the paint shows fingerprints. Well, I want what they're smoking, because they are straight tripping! I've never wiped down my unit, its been a week, i've taken a microfiber cloth to the LCD once or twice to get some dust off, I show NO fingerprints. None that I can see with the naked eye. Keep in mind, I wash my hands after using the toilet, don't eat pizza and play MAME106 at the same time, & am not using my Pandora for any other multi-media pleasures...

As for the paint, its fine, it would be nice if the buttons weren't painted. But, this is better than a visible first batch logo right? I don't notice squeaking ABXY buttons and am not heavy handed with the unit.

Only complaint would be under the hinge, you can see where friction takes place and the paint shines moreso than the rest of the unit. Doubt the Chinese or OP Team can do anything on this issue really.

I'm fine with it, the unit is kickass, paint and all.

Thank you again OP Team.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
Someone mentioned in a review that the paint shows fingerprints. Well, I want what they're smoking, because they are straight tripping!

I've been washing my hands before and after every Pandora use, and I'm getting smudges. Do I have especially oily fingers then?

:D

SomeGuy99 said:
I've been washing my hands before and after every Pandora use, and I'm getting smudges. Do I have especially oily fingers then?
You may, honestly. Touch a window, see if a smudge shows up there.

WizardStan said:
SomeGuy99 said:
You may, honestly. Touch a window, see if a smudge shows up there.

Just scrubbed my hand till I practically had no fingerprints left (on my fingers). Pressed my Ipod Touch (also glass) and... fingerprints. Wiped the screen clean, cleaned hands then repeated the whole thing three more times... still fingerprints.

There you go. :)

i have no problems with my pandoras pain job looks decent enough.

The paint makes it quite attractive, in my opinion .. and 'warm' to hold as well .. but it does get a bit smudgy .. well, perhaps thats my three year old sons doing, but still ..

It does smudge and when it does it looks kinda shiny,i have asked Ed about cleaning the unit with a soft cloth and he said yes,i have now done that and it cleans up really nice,the paint does have a nice feel to it and also looks good.

the paint job does scratch very easy,i am quite clean and carfull with stuff as i am a collector but some scratches seem to have come from nowhere,quite light scratches,nothing major and those scratches are all in the same place on the case behind the hinge so on the back of the pandora where the logo is at the bottom next to the hinge,i have no idea why they are there,

I quite like the paintwork, myself. It's very much like the finish on the black Game Boy Advance SP (a device that was black plastic, with a black paint finish), only matte and not "shiny" (the black GBA SP wasn't glossy, but it also wasn't quite matte, either). I think it looks very professional.

Looks fine to me, looks very slick, the paint has a very slight rubbery feel to it, feels high quality and don't see any smudges on mine

Back