Pandora + Nas

GuchaRU

I was planning to buy one of these http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=124 and thought "that's it! it could resolve all storage problems with pandora!".

So, I wonder will it be possible to access NAS with pandora? For example in order to watch movies while be at home. Also most of this NAS'es support music streaming for iTunes, what about pandora? Could it decode this type of music streaming? If this two things are possible it will really be great!

That's a tough one... I'd imagine it'd work via FTP? I'm not sure about music streaming, particularly if it needs some sort of special software. But I have the feeling accessing files would be possible.
No promises, I'm not sure.

I don't know about accessing samba share... it certainly should be possible but I don't know if the Pandora will ship with it.
NFS and FTP should definitely not be a problem. Accessing your NAS from the Internet is a question of setting up your network right.

I am not too sure about the streaming part.

Dang $80 for something that just shares USB drives. I am happy with my Sheevaplug wall-wart + 7port USB + 3HDs (oh stay away from $30 HP printers, they can mess up your USB somehow).
I run rsync to my friend for backup, apache, mysql torrentflux, samba (wireless can't do HD but wired is fine), git, mediatomb (see:uPnP), and whatever else I need from a 5w Ubuntu 9.04 ARM server. USB is the bottleneck for most operations and wish I had the money for the version with SATA. The sheevaplug isn't 'plug and play' as the Newegg NAS devices but I like learning and I like flexibility.
I would recommend finding a uPnP server if you just want movies and music.

Nod51 said:
Dang $80 for something that just shares USB drives. I am happy with my Sheevaplug wall-wart + 7port USB + 3HDs (oh stay away from $30 HP printers, they can mess up your USB somehow).
I run rsync to my friend for backup, apache, mysql torrentflux, samba (wireless can't do HD but wired is fine), git, mediatomb (see:uPnP), and whatever else I need from a 5w Ubuntu 9.04 ARM server. USB is the bottleneck for most operations and wish I had the money for the version with SATA. The sheevaplug isn't 'plug and play' as the Newegg NAS devices but I like learning and I like flexibility.
I would recommend finding a uPnP server if you just want movies and music.

TVersity is free and a good UPNP server for accessing movies and such on your network.

Last edited by a moderator:
cbox said:
TVersity is free and a good UPNP server for accessing movies and such on your network.

Windows only it seems, but it looks good. I have 5 computers and they all run Linux since I am lazy and Linux 'just works' for me. My last Windows was XP, and I hear Windows 7 is an improvement, though I have less use for windows now than I did when I left XP.

Anyhow back on subject, one could always set it up so you have [Pandora <-> Windows running TVersity <-> nas] though at that point why not just make the windows computer a NAS. I really don't use mediatomb that much though, I found file browsing over smb + [media player] gave the most KISS solution. I only mentioned uPnP because if smb is not supported with a nice GUI, I would bet XBMC (if I recall thats what it is called) will have uPnP.

Anyhow I suggest you just check if your NAS has uPnP when you buy it like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108042&cm_re=uPnP_NAS-_-22-108-042-_-Product

then verify XBMC Pandora build supports uPnP

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhythmbox along with many other music players supports DAAP and DLNA/UPnP meaning you should be good so long as it works with iTunes.

Back