Pandora Logo?

After viewing the thread with the postings (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40345&hl=) , I'd have to vote for the first one done by Cauterize (maybe without the reflection) - it's simple and retro looking and would look pretty sweet embossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shirohagen said:
Nice work Eolair, does the symbol have a significance? It feels very 'surf dude' if that makes sense, kind of tattoo-like.

®
Thanks. About the significance, I gave a long explanation a few pages back, with the deeper thoughts behind it. The simplest way to look at it is as the planet Saturn with the moon crest of Pandora behind it. Pandora is one of the shepherd moons of Saturn :)

Eolair said:
Shirohagen said:
Nice work Eolair, does the symbol have a significance? It feels very 'surf dude' if that makes sense, kind of tattoo-like.

®
Thanks. About the significance, I gave a long explanation a few pages back, with the deeper thoughts behind it. The simplest way to look at it is as the planet Saturn with the moon crest of Pandora behind it. Pandora is one of the shepherd moons of Saturn :)

Cool. So the good old SEGA Saturn will have a brother now. :D

I like Eolair's design so much that if it becomes the official Pandora logo, I'll have it tattoo'd on my body somewhere.

You can hold me to that.

You could jump in a mosh pit, head bang, and wave your zippo in the air to Eolair's because it rocks so much.

/+1vote to make it official

Kagato said:
Hi all, first time poster.
I discovered the Pandora the other day, and I must say it's a fascinating piece of hardware. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

(snip)

Finally, a quick attempt at a symbolic logo:

pandorasymbol2fu3.png

(Rationale: it represents Pandora's Box, as well as the initial P; and it shows the box is Open, with the secrets spilling out...)
Welcome to the board, Kagato...

I really like the last logo... the simpleness of it just blast me away... very nice indeed... I would even maybe try several other versions of it: one italic, one with more but smaller squares and so on...

Eolair: I really like the font which u use, I am not such a fan of the logo though... from just looking at it, I would not be able to make the connection to Pandora as such.

Hey ho, what's the score then? Will Craig or someone on the Pandora team be making a decision? Otherwise we could go on forever!

Any feedback on my design? I'm happy to work on it if anyone is unhappy with it for any reason:

iconblack.jpg

iconwhite.jpg

logotype.jpg

logosolid.jpg

consoleopen.jpg

consoleclosed.jpg

I'd like to make some tweaks to the type but I need to find some spare time one night this week for it, so bear with me guys...

There's a range of opinion on here, and an 'official' entries thread where the interested parties have submitted their designs...

Eolair: You should post your designs in the other 'official' thread, where the suggestions are being collected together.

®

Kagato: Just noticed your logo (the Tetris shape above), I like that a lot, less is more and all that...

Nice work... :)

®

Kagato: Try some more blocky type, or at least something 'stockier'. At the moment, your blocks are solid and chunky, but your type is drawn out, thin and delicate. If the type could fit more with the logo I think you might be on to something here, the logo could be used alone very nicely as it is a letter P which no-one else here has exploited like that.

Maybe take a block out of part of a letter or something to echo the logo subtly, like in the bottom right corner of the final a, where you could create a fullstop from it.

Also, I'd say the type could be smaller in relation to the logo, to give the two a bit more balance (seeing as the logo is son nice!)...

Thanks for the tips, Shirohagen. I was deliberately going for a contrast between the icon and the name, but I think you're right that it's a bit too different. I'll give it another go when I get some free time.

(I do like the font by itself on that one though :))

Yeah, the font alone is nice too, maybe you could replace the blocks with dots on that one, to make a more delicate logo which would match it. Like an old-skool dot matrix print or something.

For the blocks, you might be able to actually build the letters from them.

You've got to love graphic design!

Also just looked at your website, your artwork is very impressive! I'd love to see your games on the GP2X or Pandora too, I can't currently run homebrew on my PSP. You're abviously a very talented guy.

®

personally i like the thinner type for tech stuff, but i could see where it's not always practical. i think though that kagato's type is not really too thin, definitely usable for most things.

Respect,

this is the best I have seen so far:

pandoralogovz5.png

Kind of simple and looks great at the same time. That is what I ment when I wrote nearly a page on "how a logo should be like" back on page 17.

HanDuo

I made four blocky variations.
Looking at them now, I don't think I'm really happy with any of them, but I'll list them here for reference.

pandoralogosquarelo0.png

Going the other way, I've replaced the squares in the logo with circles:
pandoralogo6sc1.png

And refining it a bit further:
pandoralogo8wx6.png

The dots are interesting aren't they? I like the bottom one which looks like it's fizzing upwards. They're not quite as successful as the blocks though, but they do go better with the type, so they make a better whole. I agree the blocky type here isn't quite right but the blocky logo is so nice I'm sure you'll pair it up with something...

Nice work.

®

Back