Pandora Has Compettion

than its successor is going to MS also.
Well, afaik the SD association aren't some sort of open source fanatics either.

And the PSP does support microSD, via adaptors, but the store relies on magicgate, so I think memorystick duo is vital there. The DRM isn't too bad though; Sony allow you to download stuff to different places up to 5 times, and the same place unlimited times.

As for the PS3? It does support all flash memory; the original one even had slots for most major cards.

People chalk Sony up to be this crazy proprietary medium obsessed company, and this just isn't true, especially compared to its competitors. Having to buy wifi adaptors and hard drives for ridiculous prices from Microsoft? Nintendo with their mad disc medium to avoid paying DVD royalties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as I have no desire to even purchase the psp-3000 as long as no cfw can be run on it, I have no interest whatsoever in anything else that is locked to the whims of Sony. The PSP slim is a wonderful device and whoever thinks ghosting is an issue must have seen the original PSP emulators. I remember seeing the first Genesis emulator on the PSP-1000 and it was horrible with the ghosting. The PSP slim is a very versatile powerful cheap device that can be bought for around $100. I think the Pandora is going to be a great device and I don't want to poo poo it, however there is just no way I will shell nearly $400 by the time shipping is payed for the Pandora. The PSP does a decent job at surfing the web and youtube and a fantastic job for PSX games plus all the huge amount of other great emulators for $100.

Wow, some of you guys are just incredible <_< .

Fact is, None of the three companies are "Evil" or "shaddy" just competitive, that's it, and that's how it should be, or else this industry would go to shit. There is always going to be mistakes in regard to what is said, and what is fact or fiction, Each Company has more then 10,000 Employees working for it and four times as many involved in it.

I've played GTmobile with one and it feels alright. after just two minutes you forget you are playing with new hardware as it's extremely familiar. Pandora is going be quite the revolution if we make it that way.

....GPH.......GPH........Where Art Thou..GPH.......

Just as I have no desire to even purchase the psp-3000 as long as no cfw can be run on it, I have no interest whatsoever in anything else that is locked to the whims of Sony. The PSP slim is a wonderful device and whoever thinks ghosting is an issue must have seen the original PSP emulators. I remember seeing the first Genesis emulator on the PSP-1000 and it was horrible with the ghosting. The PSP slim is a very versatile powerful cheap device that can be bought for around $100. I think the Pandora is going to be a great device and I don't want to poo poo it, however there is just no way I will shell nearly $400 by the time shipping is payed for the Pandora. The PSP does a decent job at surfing the web and youtube and a fantastic job for PSX games plus all the huge amount of other great emulators for $100.
i believe it is $200 not $100.

like a PMP
Speaking of PMPs, it reminds me of these from a couple of years back. :p
OMG Sony clones china device. Will Sony be sued?
Or the iriver g10

g10.jpg

...and it looks better

I take it you don't own anything then?
Sony even allows you to put linux on the PS3. They aren't some kind of closed hitler.

Sure, but without full access to the hardware, severely gimping it's usefulness/potential. The point is that they shouldn't be able to dictate whether or not you put linux on it (or do with it in general"] in the first place.[/quote]As far as I understood it, the PS2 and PS3 have Linux partly in order to avoid import tax in the UK where it classes them as a computer. For the PS2 Sony released Yabasic (iirc) in order for it to be classed as programmable - came bundled with the machine here and the official magazine even had some programming tutorials for readers to follow.

Sony's unforgivable sin for me was a few years ago when they announced the PS3.
Here they were, king of the world, ruling with their PS2. The lesser countries of Nintendia and Microso were no threat to its reign. It commanded the largest army and allowed its competition to exist through mercy alone.
And then, like a fool, the king spoke for the world. But it was not the world. The mighty empire of Sony over reached its bounds. "The next generation of consoles will have these graphics!" And the people looked upon the graphics and said "that's only slightly better than what we can get now." And Sony said unto them "we will have these same great games you love!" and the people looked up these games and said "those are the same games we've already played, rehashed again and again." Yet still, the people looked in awe upon the master that lead them. Surely the next proclamation would usher in the greatness promised.
It was then that Sony made its final, fatal mistake. "You will pay $100 per game!"
Nintendia and Microso, their armies rallied, called out to the people, "will you stand there and take such harshness? Will you continue to bendeth over and taketh it up the asseth? Behold! Our consoles offer improved graphics. Our consoles offer improved gameplay. Our consoles offer the same price you've been paying!"
And the people rebelled! Sony was force back as both Nintendia and Microso gained ground, some divided, some shared. Until at last Sony saw the error of its ways. It pleaded to the people, and so was spared the fate of death. Battered and bruised, it tries again and again to rebuild its empire, but the people are wary. Perhaps, when the memory has passed, a new era will dawn, but until that time, Sony waits.

tl;dr; version: Sony attempted to use its influence as king of the console world to dictate what the future WILL be, as opposed to what it could be, or where they specifically were going. If you speak for an entire industry, you'd better hope the rest of the industry follows you.

i believe it is $200 not $100.
$170. Has been locked at this for ages.

I don't know how consumers will justify buying a PSP Go for a price tag $80 higher. The only thing to leverage it is the 16GB of flash, only because Memory Stick Pro Duo cards are expensive. You can still find a 16GB one for under $80 if you look hard enough. The flash probably costs them substantially less, probably not much more than the missing UMD drive does.

Then again, DSi is selling pretty well at a $40 increase, removing GBA slot compatibility and adding poor quality cameras. It has more power and RAM but I think little can really utilize this.

Then again, DSi is selling pretty well at a $40 increase, removing GBA slot compatibility and adding poor quality cameras. It has more power and RAM but I think little can really utilize this.
It is a much nicer machine than the original DS though, and I expect a fair few people who own a DSi either had no DS or went from the original (as I did).

The DSi's main appeal is the internal memory and SD card compatibility, which allows downloadable content.

A few things need reiterating here:

1. the 'Go is no more a competitor to the Pandora than the previous versions of the PSP
2. it is NOT A DAMN PSP2, it's the same damn machine without a UMD drive, that's the only difference that matters at all.
3. it's meant to convince people who want commercial games, but dont want the UMDs, to buy a playstation portable. It's not for people to upgrade to if you already HAVE a PSP because that would be stupid as you can't use your old games on it. It's for people who want to live the "ipod life" of downloding movies and games for money and playing them on the go.
4. it exists side by side with the current model of UMD drive PSP, games will be sold both as download AND brick and mortar.
5. Pandora is still an unique device, open and far more accessible to homebrewers and hackers and frankly a much better way to play PSone games since you get a bigger better screen and you can use the games you already own rather than having to rebuy your whole collection at 10 bucks a pop all over again.

This is not competition. The PSPgo is no more a competitor now than it ever was before and before it was about as much competition as a microwave. It does what it does but what it does is not what the Pandora does.

I find it funny when people complain about how big, evil Sony is screwing them by making their gaming console a closed system. These same people are, in fact, the ones screwing Sony and not the other way around. Think about it this way.

The PSP2 (the real PSP2, not the Go!) comes out and retails for $249. The cost of the parts, manufacturing and R&D probably comes to $350-$400 per console (for a while, at least). Sony takes a good $100 hit but does so because they know that you'll have to buy games to really get any enjoyment out of it. They'll recoup the lost money and then start making money off you as you buy more and more games. You don't buy any games, though, employ a hack that opens the system up and allows you to play homebrew and emulation, and worse yet, steal commercial games as well. Had the console been made to be open source in the first place, allowing you to do all of that, they would've had to charge $500-$600 to make it worth their wild. People wouldn't even pay that for the PS3 so you know damn well that they aren't going to for the PSP2.

So, how is it that Sony is screwing you over again?

And if you're wondering how OpenPandora can make a similar console and sell it for $330-$350, it's because they aren't paying engineers $80K+ a year to do R&D, they are grossly undercharging for the system (probably because they know better than to price themselves out of the market) and they are learning as they're going (hense all the bs that we've had to endure). I can tell you one thing, though. They aren't making a whole lot of money on each console. They're smart though. If Pandora is as awesome as it looks to be, they know that we'll be 100% loyal next time around and won't buy a competitors product, even if it's cheaper. Sony doesn't have that option. They found that out with the PS3.

. Sony takes a good $100 hit but does so because they know that you'll have to buy games to really get any enjoyment out of it. They'll recoup the lost money and then start making money off you as you buy more and more games. You don't buy any games, though, employ a hack that opens the system up and allows you to play homebrew and emulation, and worse yet, steal commercial games as well. Had the console been made to be open source in the first place, allowing you to do all of that, they would've had to charge $500-$600 to make it worth their wild. People wouldn't even pay that for the PS3 so you know damn well that they aren't going to for the PSP2.

So, how is it that Sony is screwing you over again?
And if you're wondering how OpenPandora can make a similar console and sell it for $330-$350, it's because they aren't paying engineers $80K+ a year to do R&D, they are grossly undercharging for the system (probably because they know better than to price themselves out of the market) and they are learning as they're going (hense all the bs that we've had to endure). I can tell you one thing, though. They aren't making a whole lot of money on each console. They're smart though. If Pandora is as awesome as it looks to be, they know that we'll be 100% loyal next time around and won't buy a competitors product, even if it's cheaper. Sony doesn't have that option. They found that out with the PS3.

Piracy killed the videogame star ... same shit as for every console released in recent times. Even all GP32 commercial titles got cracked .. same as all disk based Computers in the 80's/90's (Atari/ST etc)

Nicking commercial games is just wrong, no one can argue against that. But when you have such powerful systems it is fuckin frustrating to not unlock that power to prevent legit homebrew apps etc. It is because of homebrew and emulators that the big companies now take such an interest in the homebrew scene.

A few years ago downloading some roms was in a slightly grey area .. not anymore as the big companies are now re-releasing these titles as paid for commercial downloads. It makes the whole emulator scene more dubious than it might have been for some people.

Anyway, PSP GO is not a competitor to Pandora, just a new commercial handheld which the company (in this case SONY) is entitled to make. No one needs anyones's permission to bring new hardware to the market, especially their own.

Nicking commercial games is just wrong, no one can argue against that. But when you have such powerful systems it is fuckin frustrating to not unlock that power to prevent legit homebrew apps etc. It is because of homebrew and emulators that the big companies now take such an interest in the homebrew scene.
I know, it's very desirable to gain access to powerful hardware like the PSP was when it first came out. I won't knock anyone for doing that...just bitching about having to do it. The reasons I mentioned before are the sole reason that I chose the GP2X over a cracked PSP, though. Worst mistake of my life. Jebus, the controls suck on that thing!!!

lol GP2X controls have always being legendary for one point or another!! I agree though :)

I had a GP2X and still have a PSP. Only reason I used either was for emulators. Might be because I am 'elder' and remember buying the original games?! Fact is I look forward to the day there is a open handheld that supports everything I want. I appreciate why some companies have a diffierent idea though!

I know, it's very desirable to gain access to powerful hardware like the PSP was when it first came out. I won't knock anyone for doing that...just bitching about having to do it. The reasons I mentioned before are the sole reason that I chose the GP2X over a cracked PSP, though. Worst mistake of my life. Jebus, the controls suck on that thing!!!

It's very rare to have all-black-and-white niche market. Yes, Pandora is a unique product, and one could say it's focused on a niche market. But every feature in Pandora is found on some other device. Only the mix of features is unique. And there probably aren't many people that really MUST have keyboard, touchscreen, analog nubs, etc. all in one small product.

Let me illustrate: If one feature was taken off and the price halved, we would have two times more pre-orderers. (And don't say that wouldn't be feasible, that's only an example.)

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the analog nubs or the touchscreen was removed for a slight price cut, but someone else would most probably mind. But like I said, I'm quite sure there isn't that many people that must have them ALL. There are always some features that are only "nice to have" in one's mind. Bluetooth is very good example; we weren't even supposed to have it in the first place, but it certainly was a welcome surprise.

The reality: People compare the price to the features they want or need, and decide if it's worth the purchase and own financial situation.

Meaning PSPgo, PSP2, GameSystem4000, they're all competitors to the Pandora, maybe not spot-on-direct, but they still influence the sales.

(And I hope what Alpha2 said earlier was just an exaggeration, and that he/she REALLY doesn't believe microwave and PSPgo are on the same line compared to Pandora...)

. Sony takes a good $100 hit but does so because they know that you'll have to buy games to really get any enjoyment out of it. They'll recoup the lost money and then start making money off you as you buy more and more games. You don't buy any games, though, employ a hack that opens the system up and allows you to play homebrew and emulation, and worse yet, steal commercial games as well. Had the console been made to be open source in the first place, allowing you to do all of that, they would've had to charge $500-$600 to make it worth their wild.
I have a DS, and only bought one when the R4 was readily available - there's no way I would buy a console until there's a way to play homebrew and pirated roms on it. Same for the PSP - I won't buy one until I can open it up easily. Therefore, Sony aren't going to get my money at all, and if I do then they should be grateful that I buy just the console if not the games :)

Interesting that I buy a Panda at full price, but won't splash out a lot less on a PSP, no?

Back