Release Pandora flashlight

I always just opened an empty full-screen white-background text editor for this purpose, but this looks nice too.

I'll give it a try when my new Pandora arrives. Congrats on your first from-scratch Pandora application :)

Well at least it should beat the "empty full-screen white-background text editor" in terms of flashlight functionality :)

I'm currently working on an integrated clock display (shows the time in black letters if the light is on, and in colored letters on a black background if the light is off).

I also want to add a battery indicator: does anyone know where I can find the current battery charge?

With the latest firmware you can read percentage capacity from file:

/sys/class/power_supply/bq27500-0/capacity

AFAIK it has changed since kernel 2.6 serie

Thanks. Is it safe for me to hardcode that file location? Or is there some more robust way to refer to that file? (e.g. some script in /usr/pandora/ that knows where it is and gets updated in case some newer kernel changes the path).

Thanks. Is it safe for me to hardcode that file location? Or is there some more robust way to refer to that file? (e.g. some script in /usr/pandora/ that knows where it is and gets updated in case some newer kernel changes the path).

Not sure, however this (directory) path is hardcoded into /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh

and into the source files of /usr/libexec/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfce4-battery-plugin .

I don't know if I will ever find this useful, anyway I must say that is really well made and easy to use even if it has so many options. ^_^

The new version 0.3 is available on the repo. New features:

- Clock display (time and date, format based on locale setting)

- 24h, 12h, with or without seconds

- Black on color if light is on, color on black if light is off

- Battery indicator (bar indicating charge level, text indicating time left)

- Command-line options (use the flashlight from scripts)

- set initial flashlight settings (color, strobe, etc.)

- fade-in option, e.g. to use in an alarm clock, try a command line

like this one: flashlight -t1 -b1 --color=FFBB66 --fadein=60

(and meanwhile let your favorite music player fade-in some music)

- Auto backlight setting improved: uses less battery

In earlier versions, backlight was set equal to color value and the color was

always drawn as it is. E.g. RGB #FFFFFF (white) would set the backlight to

max, RGB #808080 (50% grey) would set backlight to 50%, etc. This was nice

and smooth, but it wastes battery power.

Now, the backlight is set as low as possible, changing the actual shown

color if needed. E.g. RGB #808080 is drawn as #FFFFFF with backlight at its

lowest setting. In general:

- Colors with value 100% are drawn exactly like before.

- Colors with value between 50% and 100% are now drawn as 100% value colors

with the backlight set somewhere between min and max.

- Colors with value below 50% always have backlight at minimum, and they

are drawn at twice their actual value.

Dimming is still nice and smooth, but darker colors now use less battery.

- Some minor changes:

- action button X/Y to change brightness quickly (5 times faster than dpad)

- U to set brightness to 50% (brightest color with lowest backlight setting)

- J to set brightness to 75% (= 50% backlight)

Hi, sorry for gravedigging, but I like to keep things together ;)

Since with SZ 1.60 the Pandora button can bring up the menu also when a program is running fullscreen, I think this broke the battery info (triggered with that button)?

Not sure, because I did not try this before 1.60 ... to be honest I did not think this would be useful, but since I found myself using the Pandora as a flashlight several times now (just for walking around the dark room, not wanting to wake up my GF and having the Pandora with me anyway) I reconsidered trying it. Actually I really like it! I love mood-lights and will probably use it for falling asleep at night from time to time ... playing music with audacity (which I do anyway), having the mood light fade after 10 minutes and the Pandora shut down as usual after xx minutes.

Does flashlight consume any additional energy once the screen is turned off? I assume it stops doing anything then?

I'll have to find a different key for the battery info then.

Flashlight in itself should not keep the cpu very busy (unless maybe you're using the strobe/color cycle things, but even those should not be that cpu-intensive), so it should not use a lot of power by itself.

Back