Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
So today I switched on my Pandora and I can't see anything on the screen. I've tried to use the hot keys to adjust the brightness and nothing...
I can't see what I'm doing so I can only shut it down by taking out the battery.

Any suggestions of what to try to get back to normal status? :/

The hotkeys for the backlight don't work unless you are logged in if I'm not mistaken. If you can fumble your way into logging in maybe the hotkeys will work then..

Or the LCD cable is starting to go? I had some backlight power issues when my last LCD cable was deteriorating, but it was generally fixable by varying the lid angle, until it finally went.

Or the LCD cable is starting to go? I had some backlight power issues when my last LCD cable was deteriorating, but it was generally fixable by varying the lid angle, until it finally went.
Could also be that evil coil that came off the board. Sounds like it, honestly. Simple fix, free when shipping it to me.
Well... this looks like it might be the culprit. Looks like I'll have to send it off to repair then... but will have to wait until next month... :/

Yeah, I thought of that... already tried tilting the screen, etc.

Well, if you ever used a soldering iron, you can try to do it yourself... the coil might've become loose but not fell off yet.

In that case, two solder blobs while pressing the coil towards the PCB could be all that needs to be done.

Would the coil be on the main pcb, or do I need to open the lid?
I've open the main body and I can't see anything loose. I also don't see anything coild like, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

The coil's on the underside of the board (there's not much on the keyboard side in comparison) so it should be rattling around there still once you remove the bottom of the shell. It's a small-ish cube (4mm across) with a white sticker on the top bearing the part code, located directly below the top right (as you view it) screw support hole, to the top right of the white paint circle marking the underside of the d-pad.

I took a picture of it a few months ago.. 

Marked as 682D. Picture Here:

20140816_084052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not the one that usually comes off - it's the one on the far right edge of the PCB, down and right from the LCD connector.

The coil's on the underside of the board (there's not much on the keyboard side in comparison) so it should be rattling around there still once you remove the bottom of the shell. It's a small-ish cube (4mm across) with a white sticker on the top bearing the part code, located directly below the top right (as you view it) screw support hole, to the top right of the white paint circle marking the underside of the d-pad.
I'll take another look tonight, but I didn't see anything rattling around... I'm hoping it's connected and loose in this case otherwise... it's something else at fault. :(

Thanks for the support, as per usual! ;)

OK I opened her back up and I don't see anything loose. I've attached a photo of the board just in case an eagle eye can spot anything but it looks like I'll have to prepare the Pandy for a trip to Germany...

10804512_10152351655301403_271208096_o.jpg

Check if 223F part (bottom of the pic) isn't a bit loose, it looks positioned slightly wrongly. If it is it shouldn't be hard to find someone to resolder it for you, or at least some local electronics/mobile phone repair place that would be able to help with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. As long as it hasn't fallen off, putting some solder on both sides where it's soldered and PUSHING down the coil onto the fluid solder until it is hardened should do the trick.

Back