GP2X Developing In Python/pygame

DaveN

Digger
Website
Visit site
So, I've got some questions regarding the Python version for the gp2x.

Are there any things that are necessary/impossible while writing/porting a python game for the gp2x? I mean, there are a lot of pygame games here: http://www.pygame.de/ and if the only things that are necessary to be changed when porting a game to the gp2x are the screen/graphics size and the controls, why aren't there ports of games like Cleangame, Funny Boat or Solarwolf avaible?
There are a lot of short but really great and addictive minigames written in that language, but what's the big Stop-sign that stops the developers using a hour or less and change some lines in them?

Cheers, David

Edit: Some grammatical mistakes..

So, I've got some questions regarding the Python version for the gp2x.

Are there any things that are necessary/impossible while writing/porting a python game for the gp2x? I mean, there are a lot of pygame games here: http://www.pygame.de/ and if the only things that are necessary to be changed when porting a game to the gp2x are the screen/graphics size and the controls, why aren't there ports of games like Cleangame, Funny Boat or Solarwolf avaible?
There are a lot of short but really great and addictive minigames written in that language, but what's the big Stop-sign that stops the developers using a hour or less and change some lines in them?

I was once experimenting with Python on the GP2x. Results were adequate for what I was doing. The question is - does the Pygame support GP2x's hardware blitter? If not then answer is simple - lack of perfomance.

Python will eat enough cpu cycles so there might not be enough left for software SDL routines. But if SDL would be accelerated (is it?) then Python would be much more practical on GP2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the following on the developer's page (oddbot):

"A port of python and pygame to the gp2x. The current development version features hardware accellerated SDL rendering, as well as a more tuned python interpreter (50% faster)."

So that doesn't seems to be the problem, I mean, is there anything else that's got to be changed if I want to port a python game next to the controls and the size?

Just read the following on the developer's page (oddbot):

"A port of python and pygame to the gp2x. The current development version features hardware accellerated SDL rendering, as well as a more tuned python interpreter (50% faster)."

So that doesn't seems to be the problem, I mean, is there anything else that's got to be changed if I want to port a python game next to the controls and the size?
You have to find somebody who enjoys porting python games.

If that person is you, it shouldn't be too hard as long as the other stuff (screen resolution and so on) can be handled effectively.

As somebody who downloads games, I beg you to include all the needed files for your game in a nice single zip package so I don't have to wade through readmes and searches for runtime files to downloadwhich I then have to unzip and configure, just to get a little game to run properly.

If I download a game, unzip it, run the gpe and get a black screen, I'm finished with that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back