Release PalmOS Emulator

I am probably mistaken, but I thought pmprog meant there is an emulator for Windows that runs Palm.

I want to add/ emulate an external SD Card inside POSE. Is that possible?

That way I could use a BackupMan backup set from my dear Palm m500 which is still in use without importing each file separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to add/ emulate an external SD Card inside POSE. Is that possible?
I've never heard of BackupMan before, so I don't know how it works, but I doubt it. Palm devices don't have file systems, and I certainly don't remember any with SD card slots

Found some hints on the web that POSE needs a file called HostFS.prc to emulate external SD cards. Not sure how good it works though.

Starting with the m500 model and Palm OS 4.0 most Palm devices actually had SD card slots. Those I've been using certainly have this feature. :)

I use my m500 with a 1GB SD card.

BackupMan is a very handy backup app: http://download.cnet.com/BackupMan/3000-2239_4-49391.html

Found some hints on the web that POSE needs a file called HostFS.prc to emulate external SD cards. Not sure how good it works though.

Starting with the m500 model and Palm OS 4.0 most Palm devices actually had SD card slots. Those I've been using certainly have this feature. :)

I use my m500 with a 1GB SD card.
Apparently, you right click in POSE then pick Settings->HostFS options, and you can mount them there (you'll need the HostFS.prc, whereever you get that from), I don't know beyond that because I have no need of it

Kudos marovada!

Unbelievable. Finally there is a Palm emulator for the Pandora. I used the TRGpro (Palm III with CF-Card slot) a long time, gathering up to 4MB backup image. Digging my archive i found my ROM backup and it really worked with POSE. Unfortunately the TRGpro emulation has some issues.

The CF card is emulated by a file called "trgdrv.dat". It would be great if i could insert my CFcard content into that file. I tried to mount the trgdrv.dat file via loop device, but failed. Is there any information about the format of that file or is it possible to copy external data into it?

That would make recovery of old backup files much easier, especially if your TRGpro died due to ageing. Luckily mine still do run and i could use CFpro to copy the TRGpro RAM content (prc and DB) to the CFcard, and use POSEs import function to inject my data into POSE.

Short testing report: A quick overview showed all standard apps working fine. The memo, datebook, todo and address data is there. Some games and other apps crashed, but it went better after a soft reset of the emulation.

There are still many debug stops that have to be tapped to contiune. I cancled one programm after 20 continue clicks, another programm worked fine after 2 clicks. Browsing through the settings i found all debug options enabled.

Go to settings -> Debugging (alt+\) -> uncheck all boxes -> OK

After that the programm with 20+ clicks runs fine.

something of interest to you ?
Wow, nice, thanks.
I'm only half way through the doc, where he talks about the problems with compatible ARM chips and the m68k emu PACE, and part of me wondered why he didn't just deal with the m68k version of PalmOS and emu that with his own extensions

Seems me he wanted to be able to run any ROM from a 1.0 prerelease to a OS 6 release that seems never actually came out on any devices; from 5.0 and on Palm OS devices had ARM cores, not m68ks. The second quarter of that post states he's been trying to reimplement palm OS calls under qemu to a linux kernel presumably. From about half way through he reveals he's trying to get Palm OS running on ARM cortex-M boards to make cheap new pirate devices. I'm not sure how much of that is useful to this thread if it's sole concern is an emulator that runs on ARM-cortex-A8 chips under linux, but there you go. The first half-ish might still be useful to that aim, I couldn't really say.

Back