P7zip

CyberAxe

Is there any chance of a port of p7zip? I tried running the existing binary but doesn’t work.

There’s some emulators that still don’t support ZIP (such as squidgesnes) and there are a load of ROMs that would be better 7ziped that aren’t so big that it would take eons for them to be extracted so I think it would be quite a handy utility to have

http://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/

Don`t quote me on this, But i`m pretty sure that 7zip requires a vast amount of processing power to extract files than the likes of bog standard zip. Which would increase extracting and loading times of rom/game files by an inconvenient amount of time.

Trooper

trooper posted on Feb 12 2006 at 01:01 PM said:
Don`t quote me on this, But i`m pretty sure that 7zip requires a vast amount of processing power to extract files than the likes of bog standard zip. Which would increase extracting and loading times of rom/game files by an inconvenient amount of time.

Trooper

No actually...

Just a vast amount of MEMORY (depending on compression chosen), especially to compress.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the official 7-zip site (7-zip.org):

LZMA compression algorithm is very suitable for embedded applications.

There's no further justification but they themselves seem to promote it as a good fit.

RiX0R posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
From the official 7-zip site (7-zip.org):

LZMA compression algorithm is very suitable for embedded applications.

There's no further justification but they themselves seem to promote it as a good fit.

they should put WoW in LZMA compression....

Last edited by a moderator:
7zip is at its best when compressing lots of similar files together (try compressing 3 files that are just copies of each other then try again with 6, compare file sizes).

Back