oxy morons...

feminin logic

Hate for this response to be not a oxymoron but isn't ... that a bit sexist ? I mean I know it was in jest but its not as if your saying it to a group of old friends who know and understand you . I know it's not really my place to say but ... This ( the Internet ) is extremely public and people can be hurt easily .

:) Of course the statement is sexist. But i think females are intelligent and self-confident enough to determine that the statement is without any serious fundament and thus either completely ignore it or take it as an eye-twinkling teasing. If I would decide to not write such a statement because I would think females could not stand it, then this would be the real defamation. ;) In general i have the opinion that there might be mental differences between males/females, but that I don't think that one is superior to the other. I don't want to go into detail here as the (off-)topic can hardly be discussed without spreading prejudice and false generalisation.

Also you are right that people can be easily hurt. And it's always good to think about what you write. Actually I was wondering about it while writing the oxymoron. However if would worry too much about it, then I better would stop reading and writing in the net at all. It's like most of time time all about balance. And I found the statement in this context tolerable.

But still thanks for reminding me not to completely forget about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
But i think females are intelligent and self-confident enough to determine that the statement is without any serious fundament
How can anyone know that? We don't know you personally, you've never made your stance on this known before. Believe it or not there are people who would say what you said without a hint of sarcasm, that honestly believe that woman cannot be intelligent. When you say that women should "just know" that you were joking I think you are doing a major disservice to yourself and women because there literally is no way to know the difference between someone who is just kidding and someone who is serious from just that one sentence.

I edit my initial post to make things clear.

Please do the same with your "Microsoft Works" because you might otherwise hurt the emotions of hundreds of Microsoft female/male developers/programmers.

Edit: btw.: the "But still thanks for reminding me not to completely forget about it." was not sarcasm but meant honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do the same with your "Microsoft Works" because you might otherwise hurt the emotions of hundreds of Microsoft female/male developers/programmers.
It wasn't just that your joke was offensive, people make offensive jokes all the time (dead babies) that are still hilarious. The problem wasn't even that even today there are people that would look at your joke and agree with you 100% without even considering the humor, although that was the reason you were originally called out on it. The problem was that you then tried to defend your joke instead of recognizing the actual harm that is the reason it is an offensive joke and either apologizing or just letting it drop.

No one has ever been murdered simply because they worked for Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't have a history of being rejected for contracts simply because it is Microsoft. Microsoft is, in fact, a big and powerful company that has on more than one occasion successfully thrown its weight around in grand defence. Even if someone does look at my joke and think "that is so true!" they don't then turn around and slap their Microsoft employee for not laughing at the joke. Your attempts to draw a parallel are entirely misguided.

But still thanks for reminding me not to completely forget about it.
. It's not about it being a joke or someone being offended but more about there being no real way to see which way you intended for the sentence to be taken . For instance if I walked into a room full of Sony Fanpeoples and shouted " Sony Fanpeoples are ignorant idiots " then they could think " oh he's just an annoying Pandorian and bigot " and simply get on with there lives . If I said something similar to a close friend who happens to be a Sony fanboy ( I have ) then the close friend realizes that I don't care for Sony Consoles ( I don't ) but knowing my slightly trollish personality will look me straight in the eye and say " the wii sucks " but us being friends this will be merly lighthearted banter . Now when YOU say this to a group of people who come from a wide varity of hobbys ( gaming , programming , hacking , colecting , trolling ) , a wide varity of society's where it it may be treated as ok to say this , or one where its not , or one where people simply ignore those they disagree with . What happens is some people are offended . Some choose to ignore every one of your next posts . And some agree comepletely . But some get it . All because of something that took you less than 20 seconds to type . Then along comes a person like me who in an effort to understand what is going on only makes the water muddier .

Back