Overview of SoC options

I think those requirements will probably be met, except the quad core. What do you need 4 cores for on a handheld? Isn't it more important to look at what those cores are? E.g. quad core Cortex-A7 would not be that powerful.

Weeell, I tested GIMP on the current devboard, running with half the CPU Speed... and a Gaussian Blur only took 3 - 4 seconds on a 2500x1902 picture (working with FullHD Desktop output).

That's pretty impressive.
Does that mean we'll have some fun on Wednesday?

I hope you won't "forget" the devboard at home :) .

Weeell, I tested GIMP on the current devboard, running with half the CPU Speed... and a Gaussian Blur only took 3 - 4 seconds on a 2500x1902 picture (working with FullHD Desktop output).

Well, right now we're using fbdev as display driver, so no hardware acceleration ;)

Also, fbdev seems to have a bug, as X segfaults when a lot happens on screen at once (moving windows around too fast, etc.)

No real fun yet, just basic development work ;)

Well, right now we're using fbdev as display driver, so no hardware acceleration ;)

Also, fbdev seems to have a bug, as X segfaults when a lot happens on screen at once (moving windows around too fast, etc.)

No real fun yet, just basic development work ;)
You have two days to fix it :D .

Alucart1984 does bring up a good point about cost though.

Obviously this is a consideration of Eds already, but it makes me wonder, do we need two sd card slots on the Pyra?

Would it reduce cost much to have only one?

We will be able to plug in external hardrives and usb sticks, for additional storage capacity anyways.

Would removing an sd slot free up some space on the board for something else entirely?

Are ther any other feature we don't need?

For example do we need a camera? Would it be a better option to facilitate a usb camera, with some sort of clip or grooves on the pyra case for attaching?

Well it just got me thinking about price versus features, not that I believe that we are trying to compete with the nvidia shield or anything.

Are you sure it would not reduce cost or do you really just want two slots?
PositiveIt is this $2 commercial part (had for significantly less when purchased wholesale in large quantities) and the cost of running a few traces from the SoC to the contacts which is basically no cost so long as there is room for it. Getting rid of an SD card slot will not alter the final price any but it may allow for something else to be added instead, but that something else will almost certainly add more cost than the removed SD slot had.

Removing a sd slot would be the last thing we do before I wake up next morning found some pregnant ladies were ran over by me during my sleep. Seriously, leave them alone.

The best way to reduce cost would be lowering the failure rate and return rate by a lot. Wasting time replacing LCD cables and shoulder buttons is not what I would call a good time. I do think ED should write down which pandora parts tend to break within a month , so we may use better quality parts this time. ( or just assembly pyras with more care)

BTW: that test result sounds brilliant. Is it an indication of pyra's CAD experience? I would be a happy potato if pyra can show off rather complicated blueprints, slideshows smoothly. Don't forget the hdmi port. : p (or any port that I can buy a cable from local super market and connect it to a projector.)

I hope taking advantage out of a multicore CPU is not a huge issue but I know that this usualy is not be done "automatic" so coders have to explicit code for multicore/multithread. At least I've heared that coding a single thread program is much easier than a multithread program. So I would not set the Multicore aspect of the CPU that high as long as it's unclear if this even can be used at all.

Even on PC this seems still be an issue, "Path of Exile" for example is a modern Action RPG but still only uses one single CPU core which has an huge impact onto the performance compared to bigger productions like Diablo 3 that use Multicore. 

Taking advantage of Multicore is indeed not automatic.

But they are already some soft & emus that can take advantage of that. PPSSPP, reicast or mupen for example. Dev tools also, as most big compile can use the "make -j 2" or more to make parallel compilation.

Are you sure it would not reduce cost or do you really just want two slots?
Positive
It is this $2 commercial part (had for significantly less when purchased wholesale in large quantities) and the cost of running a few traces from the SoC to the contacts which is basically no cost so long as there is room for it. Getting rid of an SD card slot will not alter the final price any but it may allow for something else to be added instead, but that something else will almost certainly add more cost than the removed SD slot had.
Can we double up the SD slots please? ;) :D :lol:

Back