Overclocking

fredster83

Still Fresh
Just wondering...
What are the pros and cons of overclocking a GP2X?
How you actually overclock a GP2X?
Can you overclock ALL versions of GP2X? and if so, which ones?

Thanks.

Pros: faster in some emulators/games
Cons: uses battery life more quickly
How: use the overclocking utility or choose the clock speed in each individual app
Versions overclockable: all

Thanks for your quick reply. Is there a recommended speed to overclock to? or a maximum speed?

everybody's gp2x is different. Mine only goes up to 250 mhz.. Some people's can go up to 280. I think everybody's will go up to 240. Try that speed in an app that lets you set the clock speed (mame is easy) and see if it works. Then try 250 and see if it works. When you go too high thegp2x will crash. Just turn it off and turn it back on and go back to the last highest speed that worked.

And don't worry you can't damage your GP2X by overclocking!

But don't try it on a PC, or you could fry it! :lol:

reiboul said:

Actually u can damage a gp2x overclocking when using power adaptor. not with batteries:)

Last edited by a moderator:
JimmySlam said:
reiboul said:

Actually u can damage a gp2x overclocking when using power adaptor. not with batteries:)

That is most likely NOT true with alkaline batteries and definately not true with NIMH 2500mah batteries. Most nimh batteries can provide at LEAST 2 times the c-rate (not for very long, definately ) and nicad's can provide at LEAST 4 times the c-rate (alkaline batteries can usually not provide more than 1/4 of their c rate. So you are looking at 5 amps or more of deliverable power, probably more so than a power supply. At any rate, the chip is rated at 240mhz which is why all of them can achieve that speed. Over clocking the cpu will cause it to run hotter and drain your batteries quicker. I try to run each game at the lowest possible frequency. I rarely have to go to 240 for anything.

Chris

JimmySlam said:
Actually u can damage a gp2x overclocking when using power adaptor.
Bullshit.

Miika said:
JimmySlam said:
Bullshit.

What an elaborate (and mature) answer, I totally see your point! You are so right.. :p

Seriously, if that's all you have to say, don't bother replying.

Miika said:
JimmySlam said:
Bullshit.

You think u r clever young boy?

Try to overclock ur gp2x at 300MHz with power adaptor, leave it plugged for 5 minutes and wont be that bullshit.

JimmySlam said:

Try to overclock ur gp2x at 300MHz with power adaptor, leave it plugged for 5 minutes and wont be that bullshit.
Have you ever damaged yours like that? Like what's the difference if you use batteries or an adaptor, it crashes always the same way.

Miika said:
JimmySlam said:

Have you ever damaged yours like that? Like what's the difference if you use batteries or an adaptor, it crashes always the same way.

You don't deserve the answer now. Sorry . Research a bit.

JimmySlam said:
Miika said:
JimmySlam said:

You don't deserve the answer now. Sorry . Research a bit.

Ha. :lol:

What a nice discussion.
Please answer me, JimmySlam, why would it damage my gp2x then with a power adapter,
but not with batteries (who can also last atleast 5 minutes when clocked to 300 mhz) ?

Quiest said:
What a nice discussion.
Please answer me, JimmySlam, why would it damage my gp2x then with a power adapter,
but not with batteries (who can also last atleast 5 minutes when clocked to 300 mhz) ?
Just try it. :)

oh common! can you give an explanation? We already know that arm processors hardly get even warm, let alone hot. So how is it going to damage the cpu then? also, if your gp2x crashes because the cpu can't take the higher clockrate, who would be so stupid as to leave it on and watch it crumbel to dust (if that could even happen)?

If it's overclocked to 300mhz, the power source is irrelevent since the AC powe ris converted to power which is usable by the GP2X anyway. This happens to be in the margin for error of voltage which is safe. The same thing does for batteries. I guess that if you leave it plugged-in after overclocking it to 340mhz and you leave it on if it crashes, the only bad thing about the power adaptor is that it's not like the power will shut off in 40 mins like what happens when the batteries die.

For a bit of sanity :)

I overclock to 265Mhz using 2700's or adaptor. I can't get past 270 using either power source for more than a couple of minutes without it crashing. With limited technical knowledge, i guess it is the same whichever you choose ...

If ye have proof of a difference then prove it. If not, STFU! (Sorry JimmySlam, only messing :D )

I've never seen a PSU kill a GP2X and i've left them crashed at top speeds for hours sometimes...

I've been testing MK1s and I just set up 10 of them at 290mhz and leave it (go shopping or whatever) and when I come back I see which have crashed.

If that would kill them I'd have killed loads.

Back