Overclocking The Wiz

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Using Orkie's castor I did some overclocking tests on the wiz using tyr-quake engine.

08.3 fps at 200 Mhz
20.0 fps at 533 Mhz
23.5 fps at 700 Mhz (limit with sound)
26.7 fps at 795 Mhz (limit with no sound)

I will upload the binary and source soon.

Why is there no sound on the highest clock speed ??

Why is there any limit ,, what limits it ( the memory , heat or something else ) ??

Off Topic :

Is the Wiz's screen deeper than the rest of front part of the case ??

Orange Pumpkin said:
It appeared that the sound driver crashes at and above 700 Mhz. So I ran quake without the sound to see if I could go higher and it did.

Orange Pumpkin said:
Why is there any limit ,, what limits it ( the memory , heat or something else ) ??

Well there has to be a limit. The transistors in the chip can only handle so much. Who knows where exactly it fails, but basically the program crashes on a segmentation fault. The next step one could take is to increase the voltage to see if it makes the higher speeds stable. (but thats not likely as the voltage is fixed by hw and not adjustable). Again the limit is probally the transisitors not being able to switch states at higher freq's, which produces bad data.
Overclocking ARM chips is different than your normal x86 desktop chips. ARM doesnt use nearly as much power. Thats why you can push the chip above its limit and not permanently damage it. Although you do lessen the lifespan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Orange Pumpkin said:
It appeared that the sound driver crashes at and above 700 Mhz. So I ran quake without the sound to see if I could go higher and it did.

Orange Pumpkin said:

Well there has to be a limit. The transistors in the chip can only handle so much. Who knows where exactly it fails, but basically the program crashes on a segmentation fault. The next step one could take is to increase the voltage to see if it makes the higher speeds stable. (but thats not likely as the voltage is fixed by hw and not adjustable). Again the limit is probally the transisitors not being able to switch states at higher freq's, which produces bad data.
Overclocking ARM chips is different than your normal x86 desktop chips. ARM doesnt use nearly as much power. Thats why you can push the chip above its limit and not permanently damage it. Although you do lessen the lifespan.
You could also relax the memory timings, as if the memory's not slow enough already B) I think you'd end up negating any benefits, of course!

Orange Pumpkin said:
Why does it less the lifespan ??
As you increase freq the cpu draws more current. Meaning more electrons move through the cpu. This creates heat, although its still low on ARM's.
One sideffect of giher currents is electromigration. Basically the electrons rip off parta of the ciruit until the path the electrons take is blocked.

In some way IC's are like mechanical devices with moving parts. Eventually the moving parts are going to break. The faster and harder you work them the sooner the failure is going to occur.

For the most part its not a big deal, the time that you actually use a device and until you replace with something new is shorter than the full life od the device.
And its not like your going to be running your device at the top freq all the time anyway.

And what would be the life expectancy ( more : less ) ??

Peter R said:
Orange Pumpkin said:
Is the Wiz's screen deeper than the rest of front part of the case ??
Yes.

Well I'm not happy to hear that but I think in all touch screens it is like that .. I really liked the PSP design and the flat front :) :)

Back