Overclocking Safe?

bmd3287

Website
Visit site
I have been playing all my emus and ports at 133 mhz because of the fear of ruining my gp32. I would really like play at the highest speed but I have seen tons of warnings telling you that it is dangerous and that it could do permanent damage to the gp32 but most everyone does it. What is that all about? And if it is safe, how do you overclock (for example) snes9xgp or Doom gp? Maybe its a stupid question but I was just tired of playing at slow speeds. Maybe someone can help me out? :huh:

From an overclocking test performed by Craigx sometime ago, it proves that overclocking is safe, and will do no harm to your GP32.. only prob is though, not all GP32's can overclock to highest speed or overclock above 133 at all.

Latest Version of DoomGP has overclocking in it, and if you look around you'll find hacked versions of the two current SNES emulators (SNESemu and SNES9x) for 155 and 166 clocking speeds.

Hope that helps :)

Yes, OCing is safe. So far nobody has messed up their GP32 from overclocking. You overclock doom gp by choosing the clock setting when you load it (I think it is the first option, you then select the desired mhz). But some emulators don't have this built in, so you'll have to download versions of the emu overclocked to a specific speed from gp32world.

I think anything above 188mhz is rounded down to 188mhz.

Anyway, what are the theoretical dangers of overclocking, i.e. what COULD happen?
like the procesor overheats, the screen is damaged, the ram gives up, what ARE the danger/s?

The highest speed that anybody has gotten so far without the 32mb mod is around 180mhz. With the mod, I believe it is 200mhz.

It is 'safe' in that it won't suddenly destroy your GP32 BUT bear in mind that chips have a lifetime and o/c ing WILL make this lifetime shorter.

Same as with standard PC overclocking - except with PCs you don't intend to keep them so long. Not sure how much an impact it has though - maybe read up on overclocking sites? (Or am I talking rubbish!!? ;))

Anything above 166MHz is rounded down to 166MHz. Anything between aprox. 132MHz and 156MHz will be rounded down to 132MHz and 156MHz respectively.

This has been tested using extensive amounts of dynamic allocation of memory (gm_malloc) and addition,subtraction,multiplication,and division of both integers and floats.

What is the best way to test what level you can over-clock to? GP32 Kirby mentioned Doom supports over clocking. If I set my GP32 to 166MHz in Doom would it crash if my GP32 can't clock that high, or would I need to download the hacked versions of the SNES emulators mentioned, and see what level it crashes at? :blink:

Yeah - just use Doom or GPEngine... if it crashes, restart and try another speed! Simple! Good luck - but it's ok, it won't break it.......

generalnmx posted on Dec 11 2003 at 04:02 PM said:
Thank you for the advice generalnmx and ste_176. Apologies for not looking thoroughly for the information beforehand. My GP32 crashed out of gpoverclk at 176MHz so would that imply I should be able to over-clock to 166MHz? I'm hoping so with the news of yoyo and co's new SNES emulator in the works.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gp32 can oc to 166 in gpcinima but the picture gets somewhat blocky during and five minutes after a hard restart. :unsure: Is this normal?

Back