Overclocking

Mofokubik

Website
Visit site
I know that gp32 can only safely overclock to 133mhz, and going above that speed could cause damage (no probs yet, knock on wood) but is 166mhz really the limit? According to this page, gamepark32's cpu can overclock to 186mhz. Im not saying its a good idea, just wondering if its really possible to go that high...

I highly doubt the integrity of that page, but just imagine if people could safely overclock that high. Quake would probably run at a playable speed at 186 without optimizations. :p

I know its kind of a newbie post, but I dont care. It made me curious.

I think DarkFader's page is pretty trustworthy....

It looks like the SDRAM is the limiting factor in overclocking from what I can infer, with most GP32s being able to overclock to ~160 MHz max, give or take a little (some working at 150, others at 166, etc.) If it weren't for the RAM limitations, I -think- that 186 MHz would be possible, even though FLU battery life would drop to 2 hours. :p

Yes, the CPU can go as high as 186MHz. However, the SDRAM can only be accessed as high as 166MHz. So there isn't much point of overclocking beyond 166MHz.

The warnings from Gamepark about overclocking actually seem to be about data integrity. While it is true that SDRAM can go up to 166MHz, it normally operates at 133MHz (common for SDRAM).

Back