Overclock Thought

halogod182

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok i know that some gp32s can overclock and others cant. Why is this????? Could you upgrade your gp32 with a little ram or somthing to make it play emulaters like perfect and overclock super high? I remember on gp32world there was some snes emulater that overclocked like 200 or somthing crazy like that. Could a little ram upgrade unleash this awesomeness??

yaustar posted on Feb 24 2004 at 08:25 PM said:
It is nothing to do with the ram, you would have to change the resistor that reduces the voltage going to your CPU so it lets more through. The risk quie high though as if you let too much go, it fry the CPU.

http://www.cobbleware.com/gp32/gp32oc.html

edit: too slow again :angry:
My answer was first :p :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so you chancge the resistor. By letting more voltage through would keeping your gp32 on for long periods of time be dangerous? And what exactly does adding ram do for your gp32? Anything? It seems a little pointless to me (and by a little i mean a LOT) lol

At the current time, adding ram to your gp32 is indeed useless unless you are yourself writing some kind of application for it that requires the ram.

Nothing is ever perfect - not all cpu's are created equal, and not all ram is the same. The maximum official speed for these is 133Mhz I believe, and anything over this is a bonus. The ram can have an effect on overclocking also (if it can't keep up with the processor, you'll only end up with corrupt data).

More voltage is only dangerous if you go too far outside the specifications on the operating voltage specified in the datasheet. Again, the highest voltage the processor can take varies with each processor. As a general rule however, more voltage = more heat, and it's this that normally makes processors fall over. On a slower arm chip (arm7 i believe it was), I found spraying it with a can of freezer spray allowed an extra 20mhz, but trying to do this whilst also attempting to play snes9xgp and it starts becoming impractical.

What is a datasheet and what is freezerspray? Is freezerspray temporary cooling or permanent? Where can i buy a can?

...you know when you have a can of compressed air and you spray it upside down and get that cold icy spray instead of air? Yeah, Kinda like that.

....very temporary

You can get the data sheet from mr spiv's site, click on um_s3c2400x_rev1.1.pdf at the bottom of the page. Warning, if you don't already have a good knowledge of CPU hardware and theory, it's very heavy reading!

Cobbleware is my site. I did the 32MB mod and the voltage mod because I'm curious, and I think any piece of electronics needs to be pulled apart and modified :D. 32MB is pretty useless currently, but I do believe that software will arrive that supports it. Others have done the voltage mod, with good results.

Hey Rob. I e-mailed you about using carbon film resistors instead of metal film.

Well i did use the carbon film and I've got the volts at 1.95.

Now I can run any program at any speed. :D

Before the highest I could get is 140-150 without crashing.

Quick question though. I have a flu model and I found that I could overclock better before with the flu off. This is just because of the extra power it pulls , right ?

Also , I changed the Flu resister from 5ohms to 2 ohms and now I have a much brighter display.... And yea the overclocking and flu change does decrease battery life but I mostly use an AC adapter, so I gon't really mind.

And I'm just like you. If it can be overclocked I'm going to do it. I've got an friend who overclocks, Genesis, NEs, and SNes consoles . GOing to get him to do all of mine. Why ? Just because.... :lol:

Hi jonjandran. Glad to hear your mod was successful!

I've heard other people say that they can overclock better with the FLU off, and I suppose that the extra battery draw is the best explanation, but I can't really see why.

The GP32 has a step-up regulator to generate 3.3V from the batteries, and it should work with the batteries all the way down to about 1.5V. So unless your batteries are nearly dead, I would have thought that the FLU wouldn't make any difference at all.

Ah well, I don't have a FLU so it's not a mystery I'm worried about solving :)

Back