Other Uses For Pandora

cobaltage said:
I'm looking forward to whatever Torpor can come up with with respect to music software.

I'd also love it if the developer of Nanoloop would consider developing something for the Pandora; he decided not to develop a version for NDS because it wasn't worth it. Maybe I'll send him an email to see if he's interested when the Pandora is released. Has anyone had any contact with him about this? Nanoloop is begging for a higher res interface and a touchscreen.

Nanoloop and Little Sound DJ would both be good candidates for a Pandora port, I imagine. I'm no musician as I am now, but I'd like to get into electronic music, and having some software for that on-the-go would be excellent. Hopefully those developers will show some interest!

Last edited by a moderator:
panik said:
kingoddball said:
Pandora for me:
Portable hardware hacking device.
Arduino IDE will be getting ported to the Pandora (by me, already started) and I will probably buy a second panda and hack he case to include 26 female digital IO pins so I can hack DIRECTLY from the pandora hardware (Will add an ATmega inside the case to assist with hardware control).

kingoddball, please keep us posted on your efforts. I would love being able to program AVR's "Arduino style" on the go.

Sounds awesome; I'm trying to get into robotics, and was just looking into the Arduino devices myself. Pandora would be a great hacking assistant! I second panik; keep us posted! :D

Here's what Pierre Gorgull, maker of protein DS told me.

"Hey Dimitri!

I'm actually in the process of writing the new generation of Protein. For the moment, I'm developping on an iPod touch, but the goal is to have it on several platforms in the end. Contrary to Protein[DS], which was kind of a draft, my new code is thought to be easily ported to various platform, multitouch or not. I'm also thinking about creating an "hardware" version of it, with custom screen and controls. I have Pandora in mind for a long time since it's powerful handled device, with opensource software and seems like a real computer with usb/video out connectivity. The top would be it has audio input!? If so, as a beatboxer, I'd like to turn it into a looper/fx device, eventually with external MIDI triggers! Now I'm getting really excited :p
Let me know if it worth it as soon as you get your hands on it.

Cheers from Belgium under the snow !

Pierre"

After this i told him how the In built Microphone could probably be easily hackable.
And that Microphone to USB converters are plenty on the market anyway if you prefer a cleaner aproach.

nihilon said:
I would love to have an app to convert between audio formats for DAPs as well as a full mp3 tag editor for quick converts on-the-go. The same for digital photo processing.

Any ideas how good the Pandora will be at transcoding? I had a similar thought about Pandora, since my mp3 player also uses SDHC cards.

skyeyemachine said:
Nanoloop and Little Sound DJ would both be good candidates for a Pandora port, I imagine. I'm no musician as I am now, but I'd like to get into electronic music, and having some software for that on-the-go would be excellent. Hopefully those developers will show some interest!

I've recently been looking at SunVox for iPhone, and although there's not much information about the platform as a whole, the developers have made versions for Windows, Linux, OSX, Windows Mobile, Palm OS, and now the iPhone. SunVox looks to be a slightly advanced tracker, with some live performance elements. I might check it out for the iPhone as it's on sale.

skyeyemachine said:

Little Sound Dj would be easy since all it requires is a Gameboy emulator.
and there is the http://www.littlegptracker.com/ for the gp2x.
The 8bit music scene uses both, in addition to a nintendo DS and/or hacked NES. ( for MIDINES )
I do animations for the VJ of toy company 8).

Xian Long said:
Unfortunately that is the one thing a Pandora can't do. It was designed to be unbrickable :(

Xian Long said:
WizardStan said:
Xian Long said:
Unfortunately that is the one thing a Pandora can't do. It was designed to be unbrickable :(
i'll see what i can do. i've already managed to brick two home consoles and three handhelds.
Take great caution, you're messing with forces beyond your comprehension here. Un-brick-able!
Sure, maybe you can get it to a state that looks like it's been bricked, and you can go ahead and build your house out of "bricked" Pandoras, but what happens when someone comes by with a recovery SD card? Your entire house is going to come crashing down when those Pandoras realize they aren't bricks anymore.

skyeyemachine said:
panik said:
kingoddball said:
Pandora for me:
Arduino IDE will be getting ported to the Pandora (by me, already started) and I will probably buy a second panda and hack he case to include 26 female digital IO pins so I can hack DIRECTLY from the pandora hardware (Will add an ATmega inside the case to assist with hardware control).

kingoddball, please keep us posted on your efforts. I would love being able to program AVR's "Arduino style" on the go.

Sounds awesome; I'm trying to get into robotics, and was just looking into the Arduino devices myself. Pandora would be a great hacking assistant! I second panik; keep us posted! :D

Robotics using an Arduino seems to be the easiest thing around.
I had never done any type of hardware programming before the Arduino.
Within 2 weeks I had already made two simple robots (and an interchangable "brain") and that is without any knowledge except what I found online and in tutorials.

grunt.jpg

1stPtype.jpg

brains.jpg

kingoddball said:
skyeyemachine said:
panik said:
kingoddball said:
Pandora for me:

Robotics using an Arduino seems to be the easiest thing around.
I had never done any type of hardware programming before the Arduino.
Within 2 weeks I had already made two simple robots (and an interchangable "brain") and that is without any knowledge except what I found online and in tutorials.

I'm very glad to hear that, as about the most hardware experience I myself have is installing PCI boards into PCs. That and a little pre-packaged soldering kit I put together once. XP

Sorry if this is too off-topic, but what tools did you need to make those (a soldering iron and breadbord, obviously, but anything else? And what specific items might you suggest)? Any recommendations on parts sources? I'm trying to figure out some mail-order sources for parts, since the closest thing to an electronics store where I live is the local RONA, which is only good for structural stuff. Getting started on a project feels much more intimidating when I know I'll have to wait weeks just to get the first parts, and even longer if I make a mistake and need to order new ones. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the selection, and I fear I haven't a clue what I'm doing...! :p

But that's what the tutorials and project books are for, I guess. :blink:

skyeyemachine said:
nihilon said:
One of the primary interests in the Pandora for me was as a PMP replacement with ancillary laptop application
uses in a compact form. So I hope to get lots of video play time out of it.

If an application is available, I'd want to use it to read Comic books or Manga as well.

And clarifying the 'ancillary laptop application uses' comment, I would love to have an app to convert between audio formats for DAPs as well as a full mp3 tag editor for quick converts on-the-go. The same for digital photo processing.

If I were in college something like this would be pretty neat to carry around between classes to record professors notes, keep class schedules, maps and what have you. Much more compact than netbooks even (And better battery life), though you lose deft typing ability.

Hmm...how about an app or function which sets up the Pandora as a portable Server or BBS-like system via wi-fi that allows others to log into your Pandora and transfer files and messages to and from it? (Probably not possible eh?) Just had a flash of some sort of a 'Pandora Party' application.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to get one of these when its released. Just thinking about all the possible usb add-on devices and extensions and hardware config possibilities raises my geek gadget hackles like crazy! :)

I am in college, and I'm planning to use it for those very purposes. As for typing, I was thinking I'd get one of those cheap roll-up portable keyboards for taking lecture notes and the like. Not the best quality, perhaps, but inexpensive and unlikely to break, at least in theory; otherwise, I might try and get something fancier. Any suggestions? A normal USB keyboard will also work, of course, but obviously that'd be more of a hassle to carry around... :p

I suppose I could also try and hook up a better microphone to it or something to record said lectures, as I imagine the internal one isn't sensitive enough for that.

I would really like something like this:

How does one contact someone with a port request? :p

Don't let it scare you. I still understand virtually NOTHING in the electronics world, but I keep at it.
If you get stuck on anything, just ask me and I'm sure I can help.

Also, once I get the Arduino GUI to compile (IF I CAN!) I will also include all of my codes in the examples, as the basic ones do not include some of the cooler things you will find and harder things like modified motorshield.

I ordered just about everything I have online. In Australia the only three options I have are Tandy, DSE, JayCar(good for resistors). All 3 SUCK! Absolute rip offs!

http://www.adafruit.com/ Best Site for parts!

I recommend going to somewhere like http://www.moderndevice.com and ordering an RBBB or BBB (custom made arduino) and soldering them together. Reason 1: They're not hard, they're not simple. it's a great start. Many components available too.

(google this) little bird electronics have good parts for sale, I got my 'duino from there.
As usual eBay has a huge selection and many parts = cheap.
Parallax (I think it is, they make the Spin Stamp and stuff) is where I got the Ping))) (the eyes of the brain) from.

Tools: Needle Nose Pliers, Sodering Iron (Small Tip), Wires. Ebay have a GREAT kit, all wires have a metal end(look at the black end of wires in photos), and they slot into anything (breadboards etc). Carton cutting blade (Stanley Knife) aswell..
mini breadboards are not cheap, but they are EXCELLENT!

WizardStan said:
Take great caution, you're messing with forces beyond your comprehension here. Un-brick-able!
Sure, maybe you can get it to a state that looks like it's been bricked, and you can go ahead and build your house out of "bricked" Pandoras, but what happens when someone comes by with a recovery SD card? Your entire house is going to come crashing down when those Pandoras realize they aren't bricks anymore.
i will find a way.

Vlynndar said:
How does one contact someone with a port request? :p
Forget porting, it would be easier to make it from scratch. I imagine you'd be using the stylus and one of the nubs for scrolling/zooming.

kingoddball said:
Don't let it scare you. I still understand virtually NOTHING in the electronics world, but I keep at it.

Also, once I get the Arduino GUI to compile (IF I CAN!) I will also include all of my codes in the examples, as the basic ones do not include some of the cooler things you will find and harder things like modified motorshield.

I ordered just about everything I have online. In Australia the only three options I have are Tandy, DSE, JayCar(good for resistors). All 3 SUCK! Absolute rip offs!

I recommend going to somewhere like http://www.moderndevice.com and ordering an RBBB or BBB (custom made arduino) and soldering them together. Reason 1: They're not hard, they're not simple. it's a great start. Many components available too.

(google this) little bird electronics have good parts for sale, I got my 'duino from there.
Parallax (I think it is, they make the Spin Stamp and stuff) is where I got the Ping))) (the eyes of the brain) from.

Tools: Needle Nose Pliers, Sodering Iron (Small Tip), Wires. Ebay have a GREAT kit, all wires have a metal end(look at the black end of wires in photos), and they slot into anything (breadboards etc). Carton cutting blade (Stanley Knife) aswell..

I took a look at the sources you mentioned; I'm thinking the BBB kit is probably right for me, although I'm somewhat tempted to just get ahold of something like Little Bird's Arduino starter kit... :p I hadn't realized breadboards were sold in such small sizes, but is there really a large advantage to using these small ones over the standard sizes?

As for tools, I'm looking at Adafruit's Adjustable 30W 110V iron; I don't know much about the fine details of electronics tools and which are best, but it seems like it will suffice, and for $20, it's worth a try. I may as well pick up their soldering iron stand and a couple other items from their stock while I'm at it. I have a solder gun kicking around which still works, but it's heavy with a thick tip to it, making any precision work quite awkward.

I'll keep an eye open for those parts you mention on Ebay. I've never really done much through the site, so it'll be interesting to see what comes up. Thanks very much for all the info and encouragement; I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask once I get the stuff together and start attempting some projects! :p

In fact, I have one already, come to think of it! I'm under the imrpession that, given the right programming setup and interface on a given PC, I can control the Arduino completely via its USB connector. Is this correct? Or is the USB connector mainly just to program the PIC? Please pardon my ignorance if this is a stupid question; I'm still very new to the Arduino scene!

Portable serial and ssh console (for work). Course I'll need rs232 level for that and I still haven't found much info on pinouts etc for hardware hacking...

Also potentially a portable logic analyzer If I can get a bunch of digital (and maybe some analog) probes wired in to it... (again with the lack of schematics/pinouts at this stage)

skyeyemachine said:
kingoddball said:

I took a look at the sources you mentioned; I'm thinking the BBB kit is probably right for me, although I'm somewhat tempted to just get ahold of something like Little Bird's Arduino starter kit... :p I hadn't realized breadboards were sold in such small sizes, but is there really a large advantage to using these small ones over the standard sizes?

As for tools, I'm looking at Adafruit's Adjustable 30W 110V iron; I don't know much about the fine details of electronics tools and which are best, but it seems like it will suffice, and for $20, it's worth a try. I may as well pick up their soldering iron stand and a couple other items from their stock while I'm at it. I have a solder gun kicking around which still works, but it's heavy with a thick tip to it, making any precision work quite awkward.

I'll keep an eye open for those parts you mention on Ebay. I've never really done much through the site, so it'll be interesting to see what comes up. Thanks very much for all the info and encouragement; I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask once I get the stuff together and start attempting some projects! :p

In fact, I have one already, come to think of it! I'm under the imrpession that, given the right programming setup and interface on a given PC, I can control the Arduino completely via its USB connector. Is this correct? Or is the USB connector mainly just to program the PIC? Please pardon my ignorance if this is a stupid question; I'm still very new to the Arduino scene!

If I can recommend something: Dont use an RBBB/BBB as a first 'duino. They need an FTDI card (USB BUB) or Serial-USB (built in FTDI) cable.
Get a basic Arduino (http://www.arduino.cc). I was just saying to learn to solder on a fun project, use a BBB. Just my recommendation. I have started working on Porting.. Right NOW actually. I will be starting a new post in a few mins. I need some help.

Back