xyta

Just stumbled upon this:

http://merproject.org/

Mer is an open, mobile-optimised, core distribution aimed at device manufacturers; powered by Qt/QML and HTML5 - openly developed, inclusive, and meritocratically governed.

The Core is based upon the work from the MeeGo project and plans to share effort with the Tizen project.

We have some clear goals:

-Openly developed with transparency built into the fabric of the project

-Provide a mobile device oriented architecture

-Primary customers are device vendors - not end-users.

-Have structure, processes and tools to make life easy for device manufacturers

-Support innovation in the mobile OS space

-Inclusive of projects and technologies (eg MeeGo/Tizen/Qt/EFL/HTML5)

-Governed as a meritocracy

-Run as a non profit

The Mer project is the successor of Meegoo. It's only a core distribution. You will need to install a user distribution such as Nemo, Cordia, or Plasma Active.

Plasma Active seem quite interesting to me, as it is written for a Linux tablet with the same screen resolution as the Pandora.

Plasma Active is intended for all types of tablets, smartphones and touch computing devices such as settop boxes, smart TVs, home automation or in-vehicle infotainment. Plasma Active is a joint project by the KDE community, basysKom and open-slx. The goals for this open source project are:

--a fast embedded UX platform with minimal memory requirements

--customizable and modular to support different form factors

--an interface that adapts as users change Activities

Plasma Active is an interface for people on the move. People engaged in different activities in different places at different times of the day. Its beautiful surface is fresh, a design completely rethought for the best experience on modern ultraportables. Built on a proven platform with an attractive environment for developers. And easy creation of embedded images for device manufacturers.

Plasma Active is intended for all types of tablets, smartphones and touch computing devices such as settop boxes, smart TVs, home automation or in-vehicle infotainment. Plasma Active is a joint project by the KDE community, basysKom and open-slx. The goals for this open source project are:

--a fast embedded UX platform with minimal memory requirements

--customizable and modular to support different form factors

--an interface that adapts as users change Activities

Plasma Active is an interface for people on the move. People engaged in different activities in different places at different times of the day. Its beautiful surface is fresh, a design completely rethought for the best experience on modern ultraportables. Built on a proven platform with an attractive environment for developers. And easy creation of embedded images for device manufacturers.
http://plasma-active.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just like Android, Debian, Slackware and the rest it will take some effort and skill to adapt it to the Pandora.. Linux-Swat been doing a great job with Slackware, the community is open to new things.. but generally someone with initiative needs to kick the process off.

Pandoras are not tablets, so we'd have to be careful not to overdo the touch-centricity

^ True. Panorama's Pandora-plugin (which handles the game controls) should be plug and play with plasma active's UI, but PA is designed entirely around touch-centric use.

What's the Problem with a touch-centric OS.

Surely, most of us (me too) like nubs and buttons but what about the "touchscreen people" ;) .

If they want a touchscreen OS then give them one. They can use their Pandora as a touchscreen device with real keyboard and gaming controll.

This will simply extend Pandora's possibilities.

Askarus, since the hardware is not touch-centric it makes little sense to force users to use a control scheme they may dislike by using a touch-centric OS.

Currently, touchscreen consumers can use the touchscreen to operate the OS, despite being centered around using the keys. I would rather not feel pressed to rely on the touchscreen, and then after booting a game to fall back on using the physical controls.

I think TrashyMG covered the most importent sentiment. If users want a touchscreen based OS, it's within their grasp to port one.

^ It's QML. The same as Panorama. And it's more like defining JSON objects than CSS rules :p

I don't have anything against anyone porting and maintaining plasma active on pandora. As long as there are eager people doing the actual work anything is possible :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Askarus, since the hardware is not touch-centric it makes little sense to force users to use a control scheme they may dislike by using a touch-centric OS.

Currently, touchscreen consumers can use the touchscreen to operate the OS, despite being centered around using the keys. I would rather not feel pressed to rely on the touchscreen, and then after booting a game to fall back on using the physical controls.

I think TrashyMG covered the most importent sentiment. If users want a touchscreen based OS, it's within their grasp to port one.

I don't want it to be main OS but we don't have an OS for those who like a more touch screen centrice device.

On the other hand we don't need an entire OS for that, just a window manager + shell. In other words just plasma active. Mer is a completely separate beast :)

Back