Optimum Sd Card For The Caanoo

khackett

Still Fresh
Hello All.

Was curious if this community has any input into the varying class speeds of SD cards, and which level is best for the Caanoo. For instance, my dSLR requires minimum Class 6 to meet the read/write speeds of my camera. Is there a threshold to stay above, in terms of read/write speeds that work best for the Caanoo?

My reasoning for asking is that i recently loaded the PCSX4all emulator on my Caanoo, and it seems to run the games VERY SLOW, I've tried all sorts of setting combinations, read some forums as to the optimal choices, etc. But no luck. I'm curious if it my SD card (class4) that is slowing things down.

Any thoughts. Thanks!

The Class of an SD card is simply the minimum write speed in megabytes per second. So a class 6 will generally write faster than a class 4. The class doesn't effect read speeds, which will vary from card to card.

Your SD card should have no effect on the performance of games, because they games load into memory before hand. They ran off of an incredibly slow CDROM drive originally, so they shouldn't be slower using flash memory.

Playstation emulation just seems to be very slow in general. What someone might consider playable may be 5-10fps short of normal for a specific game, which to many people (including myself) is totally unplayable.

While a faster card is better, when you copy large ammounts of data on your Caanoo with a card reader, it is mostly useless, when it comes to the speed of the card when inserted in the Caanoo, both read and write speed of the Caanoo is very low.

I noticed that when I was using the Caanoo-branded 4GB bundle SD card (Batch 3 and up), it would take eight seconds whenever I first entered the games or apps menus, as it paused to read in all the ini files. At first I thought this was normal, since I had a lot of things installed, but when I changed it out for a 32GB class 10, that pause was reduced down to only one second, and loading large arcade roms were a bit quicker as well, but not as drastically as simply entering the menus. So either cards with a faster class will have a better read speed as well, or just having a better-made card in general will help greatly. I doubt there's any need to specifically seek out higher class speed cards, but if you're buying one anyway, may as well pick out the fastest or best branded card in your price range at the time. And be wary of 'fake' cards on ebay with hacked firmwares to display higher capacities.

someoneElse said:
I noticed that when I was using the Caanoo-branded 4GB bundle SD card (Batch 3 and up), it would take eight seconds whenever I first entered the games or apps menus, as it paused to read in all the ini files. At first I thought this was normal, since I had a lot of things installed, but when I changed it out for a 32GB class 10, that pause was reduced down to only one second, and loading large arcade roms were a bit quicker as well, but not as drastically as simply entering the menus. So either cards with a faster class will have a better read speed as well, or just having a better-made card in general will help greatly. I doubt there's any need to specifically seek out higher class speed cards, but if you're buying one anyway, may as well pick out the fastest or best branded card in your price range at the time. And be wary of 'fake' cards on ebay with hacked firmwares to display higher capacities.

You are probably right, with a very slow card you will experience a speed loss, but the Caanoo doesn't read or write as fast as a card reader, so I can definitely say, transfering data to a Class 10 card with a card reader is much faster, then doing it with an USB cable and the Caanoo directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not totally sure, but in general, microSD cards seem to get better performance than regular SD cards, even in SD adapters.

I use a microSD card in my Caanoo and it performs very nicely.
In my DS flashcart I use a Samsung Plus, it's a grey microSD rather than dark grey and it performs especially well.

Back