Openjazz Update

Esn said:
Weird... I had a dream that you ported OpenJazz to GP32 and made an option to change all the graphics to Commander Keen ones, with Jazz himself becoming a Yorp. And I was playing it thinking it looked pretty neat.

I think I'm anticipating your release a little too much. :p

Maybe slannesh will be interested in porting clonkeenplus (much improved fork over clonekeen) http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/
Ive also been meaning to release my wiz version, since this version is much improved (meaning fullspeed 60 fps vs 20 fps)

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
Weird... I had a dream that you ported OpenJazz to GP32 and made an option to change all the graphics to Commander Keen ones, with Jazz himself becoming a Yorp. And I was playing it thinking it looked pretty neat.

I think I'm anticipating your release a little too much. :p

It just showed up in the download section today. Have at it!

Okay, I tried it out today. Thank you for your work, slaanesh. The game's actually playable now.

I can't figure out how to load the full CD version. What files do I need to put into the openjazz folder? Also, does it support Jazz Christmas 94 and 95?

a few bugs that I noticed:

crackly music (in last 2 worlds & title screen)

in Tubelectric, the lasers seems to fire a little left of where they should

Jazz can get stuck in place while running up diagonal surfaces (or very small steps) - also, the screen stutters whenever jazz runs up a diagonal (as if the frame rate was very low, even though it says that it's 35)

In Medivo, the flying board is invisible.

There are big balls on chains in Medivo - those chains are invisible

There's one place in Medivo where the board is supposed to fall away, it's possible to fly past that point without losing it.

While Jazz is on the flying board, the shots from his blaster can sometimes come not from his midsection but from higher or lower

The first guardian seems to just stay in place (not sure if it's a bug or not)

Esn said:
Okay, I tried it out today. Thank you for your work, slaanesh. The game's actually playable now.

I can't figure out how to load the full CD version. What files do I need to put into the openjazz folder? Also, does it support Jazz Christmas 94 and 95?

a few bugs that I noticed:

crackly music (in last 2 worlds & title screen)

in Tubelectric, the lasers seems to fire a little left of where they should

Jazz can get stuck in place while running up diagonal surfaces (or very small steps) - also, the screen stutters whenever jazz runs up a diagonal (as if the frame rate was very low, even though it says that it's 35)

In Medivo, the flying board is invisible.

There are big balls on chains in Medivo - those chains are invisible

There's one place in Medivo where the board is supposed to fall away, it's possible to fly past that point without losing it.

While Jazz is on the flying board, the shots from his blaster can sometimes come not from his midsection but from higher or lower

The first guardian seems to just stay in place (not sure if it's a bug or not)

Aside from the crackly music, those are all bugs Alister needs to work out, so you'd probably do better mentioning them on his site rather than here.

Also, I thought there was a point on Medivo where the board was supposed to fall away as well, but when I played my CD version in DOSBox a couple of days ago, Jazz stayed on it for some reason, so either we're both remembering incorrectly, or there was an intermittent bug there in the original game that DOSBox brings out over real DOS.

jmetal88 said:
Aside from the crackly music, those are all bugs Alister needs to work out, so you'd probably do better mentioning them on his site rather than here.
Do you have a link to his site?

Also, I thought there was a point on Medivo where the board was supposed to fall away as well, but when I played my CD version in DOSBox a couple of days ago, Jazz stayed on it for some reason, so either we're both remembering incorrectly, or there was an intermittent bug there in the original game that DOSBox brings out over real DOS.
Well, I have strong memories of playing Jazz on my old computer (not through DOSBox) and the board definitely fell away at that point. It's possible that there were differences between different game versions, I guess.

Esn said:
jmetal88 said:
Do you have a link to his site?

http://alister.eu/jazz/oj/

EDIT: Chances are he already knows about most of them as he is constantly developing this.

Back