Opengl 2.0 Or Opengl Es 2.0

GP2X_Coder

Website
mysite.verizon.net
Does anyone know if the pandora will be OpenGL 2.0 or OpenGL ES 2.0 I would like to know so I can start porting over my Direct3d programs to the correct format.

Thanks.

GP2X_Coder said:
Does anyone know if the pandora will be OpenGL 2.0 or OpenGL ES 2.0 I would like to know so I can start porting over my Direct3d programs to the correct format.

Thanks.

- PowerVR SGX OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
B)

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of fixed function pipeline in OpenGL ES 2.0 is extremely significant, it means porting old games that use the fixed pipeline like quake1/2/3 will be much more work to port.

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure I follow that logic...
Anyways, anyone know about getting a nice oGL ES 2.0 dev environment going in Linux? :/

Can only find a windows oGL ES 2.0 emulator by ATI/AMD...

The SGX530 is OpenGL ES 2.0.

The SGX535 used in Menlow is the same chip, except with OpenGL 2.0 and DX9 instead.

http://www.khronos.org/opengles/2_X/ Can we just start dev'ing with Khronos. I rememember TI saying they support them with OMAP.

EDIT: oh, oh oh.. I think SGX530 has mobile DirectX7 3D. I've never heard of anyone using that or if you can even get to the api from linux.

deathterrapin said:
The lack of fixed function pipeline in OpenGL ES 2.0 is extremely significant, it means porting old games that use the fixed pipeline like quake1/2/3 will be much more work to port.
That's why you would use OpenGL ES 1.1 for porting those games. But if you want to use shaders, you really should go all the way and use OpenGL ES 2.0.

PokeParadox said:
Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure I follow that logic...
Anyways, anyone know about getting a nice oGL ES 2.0 dev environment going in Linux? :/

Can only find a windows oGL ES 2.0 emulator by ATI/AMD...
Use the PowerVR OpenGL ES 2.0 PC Emulation SDK:

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/Down...e=PowerVRSDKs#0

Xmas said:
That's why you would use OpenGL ES 1.1 for porting those games
Has there been any indication that ES 1.1 will be available though? If TI/PowerVR were going to go to the trouble of replicating fixed pipline functionality in shaders to make es 1.1 work, then they might as well provide full OpenGL support.

deathterrapin said:
Has there been any indication that ES 1.1 will be available though? If TI/PowerVR were going to go to the trouble of replicating fixed pipline functionality in shaders to make es 1.1 work, then they might as well provide full OpenGL support.

There are ES 1.1 drivers for OMAP3430. This is pretty much a market requirement, especially given that the market share of OpenGL ES 2.0 at the moment is 0.

Full OpenGL is much bigger implementation burden than OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 together. That's the main reason why ES exists at all.

Nope, it's probably in some ways easier to just dive into GLES. I say this because looking at the syntax spec, OGLES is very very much like OGL, but with a few bits of syntax added, and a few bit removed.
It's not hard to envisage that for myself, there will be times when I'm writing glBegin a lot when this function is removed in ES, simply because I may forget which GL I'm using. Ok that might be a little exageration, but I hope you see my point.

Learning it from no prior experience, while it may take you longer to digest the syntax, etc, means you won't have this specific problem.

You can get started right now:
OGLES2 Spec and usage info
PowerVR OGLES2 Devkit (Win/Lin)

I'm currently trying to setup Code::Blocks with this in Linux... it's telling me the libs are in the wrong format, or something :huh:
I may have to revert to using the windows SDK, which means rebooting into XP since VirtualBox doesn't support OpenGL :eek:

Hmmm...I'm searching for an OpenGL ES 2.0 wrapper for a linux opengl 2.0 implementation. Interesting I can't seem to find one.

For prototyping I'd definitely first want to code on my native platform (linux amd64) to a uniform API and then just recompile for the actual target system as the code starts to "move along".

Yes, but is there a way to do cross platform coding? I can only find some devkits for opengl es, no native drivers or any sort. I don't know how different the API is from opengl, but maybe it is close enough to use the same code paths?

dockthepod said:
Yes, but is there a way to do cross platform coding? I can only find some devkits for opengl es, no native drivers or any sort. I don't know how different the API is from opengl, but maybe it is close enough to use the same code paths?
The PowerVR SDKs come with OpenGL ES wrapper libraries (OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 on desktop OpenGL on Linux and Windows). You can simply write OpenGL ES applications on your PC.

Back