Open2x

BudhaCronX

Still Fresh
Website
www.budhcronx.com
I know nothing about coding or anything, but I kinda got excited when I stumbled over Open2x. I just want to understand what it means for me as a GP2x owner who doesn't homebrew it or hack it or anything and just uses it as an end user. Also, I've seen a few builds floating around on the archive site, so is it ready to use? I'm basically clueless, clue me in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. :)
Basically, open2x is a firmware developed by members of the community instead of GPH, it features many improvements over the official firmwares, opening up more possibilities for your unit. Apparently it solves also many problems with the official firmwares.
However I can't give much more information since I haven't been able to install it. Here are some threads about it:

open2x DR7 (latest release):
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47311

The beginnings of open2x:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=21200&hl=

Hope this gives you more info. ;)

I've installed Open2X DR7. Worked great for me, very user friendly. Can't comment on TV out since I don't have a cable.

'BudhaCronX' said:
I notice that it's supposed to or does include an improved mplayer. Is it in the D7 build and if so, what formats does it support?
Only what GPH's firmware supports: Divx4/MPEG4 files with MP3 audio (if it's not AVI it won't work).

I think there were a few improvements by various people over the years but nothing too major. It's in the mp2x readme in Open2X's SVN.

A> Is it possible to dual-boot?

B> Does it come with the built in games like GPH firmware V4?

A: No, but there is a compatibility mode available.

B: No, but you can download all the games from the software archive.

Only what GPH's firmware supports: Divx4/MPEG4 files with MP3 audio (if it's not AVI it won't work)

Actualy, in FW 4.1.1 you can play OGM files, with xvid/vorbis inside. Tryed to play them but they won't appear in the list unless they end with .avi, even if you change the extension they wont play

PS: i have a F200( B ) with DR7

Back