GP2X Open2x Compatibility

JyCet

Website
Visit site
Hi,
This thread is most for all Open2X contributors/developpers

I've looked your compatibility list here:
http://wiki.open2x.org/open2x/wiki/index.p...atabilityIssues

Some program doesnt work and other work on the both firmware.

In my opinion Open2X is a very good alternative to the gph firmware!

Did you have a guideline or any recommandation to all gp2x coders, to code or modified their programs to be compatible with Open2X ?

Good question :D

I would like to add a question:
What makes stuff incompattible? Is it the kernel? Or the lib on the rootFS?

I think it's a bit of a shame the 'current state' info is kinda missing. For example, can I replace the stock GP2x kernel with the open2x one without problems while keeping the stock GP2x filesystem (maybe putting some extra kernel modules on it)? What's lacking from the kernel/FS?

i think the problem come from the lib used in open2x that are more up to date than thoses that come with GPH firmware.

Use static lib and then no prob ^^

I see prob with REminiscence that use minimal lib from ryel, is tested using the old version using SDL and minimal lib mixed or the new one using the last version of this lib only?

Well, I'm not one of the developer, but I've been alpha testing open2x for a while now.. Those apps that are listed as "not working" are those who can't directly be started from the menu. However, they can be started from a bash prompt, so it's only a few bugs in the menu (which is alreasy fixed I believe, I just haven't got updated to that ;) ).

For me, it has replaced the original firmware almost entirely, the only thing I need the "compat" for is playing videos, and that's being worked on. Can't wait for the release of it. :)

Zider said:
For me, it has replaced the original firmware almost entirely, the only thing I need the "compat" for is playing videos, and that's being worked on. Can't wait for the release of it. :)

What is this "compat" anyhow?

Last edited by a moderator:
Daid said:
Zider said:
What is this "compat" anyhow?

It's an image with everything from the original firmware, except ofcourse the kernel. Gives the ability to run stuff that requires the old libs, like mp2x, plus you can run the builtin apps from the original firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't really any changes you need to make to programs, though if you want you can run '/etc/init.d/S10menu start' instead of gp2xmenu.

Pretty much all of the incompatibilities seem to be related to the way the menu is launched, but I've fixed this now and only the odd thing doesn't load.

EDIT: Actually, I've thought of something. People will need to stop using SDL_DOUBLEBUF if they are going to link dynamically to SDL (it is possible to link statically to SDL and dynamically to everything else though) as it causes mysterious segfaults. You'll have to create your own 320x240 surface and handle the double buffer yourself.

Back