Open Gl question

No, there is no OpenGL or OpenGL2.0. The driver TI got to go with it supports OpenGL ES and OpenGL ES2 only. The chip is capable of handling the full OGL and OGL2 spec, what we lack is enough information about how the chip works in order to code open source drivers to do so, hence why we must stick with ES drivers we have from TI.

No, there is no OpenGL or OpenGL2.0. The driver TI got to go with it supports OpenGL ES and OpenGL ES2 only. The chip is capable of handling the full OGL and OGL2 spec, what we lack is enough information about how the chip works in order to code open source drivers to do so, hence why we must stick with ES drivers we have from TI.

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but what's stopping us from acquiring the needed info regarding the chip?

It seems to me that the troubles and complications of writing these new drivers would be well worth it. ..? :mellow:

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but what's stopping us from acquiring the needed info regarding the chip?
You have no idea on how much work it is. We had somebody who was going to do a start (in exploring and documenting the hardware), but I think I just saw him waiting for a refund at the support section.

One could compare the task to a "mini" version of the nouveau project (that is a reverse-engineered open source nvidia driver).

I tried to look at when they started, but got only "before 2006" (couldnt find a good "history of nouveau" article :( ) from their wiki,

because they have IRC logs from 2006. I think there's much more people wanting open source nvidia drivers than SGX drivers, and it has taken

them over 4 years, and IMO their 3D support is still lacking.

Back