Oolite

porthose

Still Fresh
Hi Everyone,

I found this Elite inspired game the other day, downloaded and played with on WinXP http://oolite.aegidian.org/ Its also available on Linux and Mac. Not sure if anyone has seen this before but its a lot of fun.

YouTube has some video play on it and its great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6C-WJU9IoE

Well, I'm not a programmer and not even sure if the source is available, but it would be great if it could be ported to the GP2x.... one can wish...

Last edited by a moderator:
The proposal Ravnos made is interesting since GBA has an alike processor to the gp2x... Anybody willing to port it? :)

Well, the 2 last suggested ports(Wcuniverse and first post here) were both very graphically and processor heavy compared to the power of the gp2x. Do we have a sticky on the gp2x's power here?... Well, If they ever release the Xgp, you should look for it :) Not sure how many people will port to it, but this is a Wishes forum.

Edit: And oh, don't even suggest a port until your sure there is source code. In your case there is, but theres no way in hell that game will run any better than a slide show with any OpenGL implementation...

Source code is here.
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-linux/trunk/

Edit2: Feeling weird today, but what if we had a wire frame port?

In case anybody hasn't yet, check out the NES port of Elite - it's very good and designed to be played with a pad instead of a computer, so it's much easier to play...

From the website:
It requires at least a 400MHz processor, 256Mb of memory, and a graphics card capable of accelerating OpenGL graphics.

So, no, no port. But there's always this and this.

well, but the requirements of a gp2-port are not as high as for the pc-version. We do not need high-res graphics and a softwarerenderer on 240x320pixels with 256 colors can not have such requirements for 4 or 5 objects at time on screen. Privateer2 works well on a pentium60 and the power of a P60 should be possible with our arm-chipset. Elite (compare it with quake or the emulated whipout on psx4all!!) can not be the end of possibilities for the gp2x.

In case anybody hasn't yet, check out the NES port of Elite - it's very good and designed to be played with a pad instead of a computer, so it's much easier to play...

A great version (though not as good as GBA Elite ANK) but I found it doesn't run on the GP2x, so I still use my GP32 for this NES game. If you have it working, which emu are you using and which ROM (PAL or NTSC hack ROM)?

The NES version of Elite was only released in Europe, so unless someone has made a hack, the only ROM for this one is PAL. GPfce doesn't seem to support PAL ROMs at all, so you might want to try fishynes instead. Interesting, since the Wiki page mentions fishybawb (the guy who did fishynes) as the guy looking into porting Elite to the GP2X. I'm not sure if fishynes handles PAL ROMs either though, as I haven't used it in a while.

There were also versions of Elite ported to most 8/16-bit computers, but I think they all make heavy use of the keyboard, so playing them on the GP2X would be rather unsatisfying :/

--Zero

well, but the requirements of a gp2-port are not as high as for the pc-version. We do not need high-res graphics and a softwarerenderer on 240x320pixels with 256 colors can not have such requirements for 4 or 5 objects at time on screen. Privateer2 works well on a pentium60 and the power of a P60 should be possible with our arm-chipset. Elite (compare it with quake or the emulated whipout on psx4all!!) can not be the end of possibilities for the gp2x.
Oolite still needs hardware accelerated OpenGL. Recent versions are adding realtime lighting and shaders, which we could certainly pull out with enough effort. My primary concern would be the massive amount of floating point math going on inside the codebase, seeing as it is a modern game, still under development, being built for the high-end of consumer gaming desktops (and primarily for modern Macintosh systems, which come out of the box with relatively advanced hardware acceleration right now).

What does the Pentium 60 have that our little ARM does not? A decent FPU, for one. There's no guarantee that we'd be able to pull off Privateer 2 just because the CPU speeds and vintage seem to "sorta match" (also, no Privateer 2 source, and from what I can see it's tied pretty tightly to DOS and the x86).

Is it possible to get all this stuff down to a software renderer and shoehorn it onto the GP2X? Sure -- you could replace FPU math with fixed-point math, rip out most of the OpenGL code and build a faster scanline renderer that uses the GP2X hardware better, and clean up a lot of "lazy" performance-sapping code. The question is whether or not this is worth someone's free time, possibly months at a time.

Oolite still needs hardware accelerated OpenGL. Recent versions are adding realtime lighting and shaders, which we could certainly pull out with enough effort. My primary concern would be the massive amount of floating point math going on inside the codebase, seeing as it is a modern game, still under development, being built for the high-end of consumer gaming desktops (and primarily for modern Macintosh systems, which come out of the box with relatively advanced hardware acceleration right now).

What does the Pentium 60 have that our little ARM does not? A decent FPU, for one. There's no guarantee that we'd be able to pull off Privateer 2 just because the CPU speeds and vintage seem to "sorta match" (also, no Privateer 2 source, and from what I can see it's tied pretty tightly to DOS and the x86).

Is it possible to get all this stuff down to a software renderer and shoehorn it onto the GP2X? Sure -- you could replace FPU math with fixed-point math, rip out most of the OpenGL code and build a faster scanline renderer that uses the GP2X hardware better, and clean up a lot of "lazy" performance-sapping code. The question is whether or not this is worth someone's free time, possibly months at a time.

If you are able to do it, there is only one way to find out! ;)
do not flame me i'm no coder, but i think such a game is missing (from scratch or ported).

a new one! :p
Don't know how it will turn out. It will be along the lines of Elite... we hope to get it to the stage of flying around, shooting and being able to dock with planets/space stations and buy upgrades.

We are also considering having FPS sections.

It's actually really early and this semmester we just have to have a nice graphical demo up and running. (To demonstrate stencil/accumulation buffer thecniques, shader programs and other nice looking effects)
Semmester 2 is when it will become some form of game. :)

I've tried playing this, however I can't find a handheld NES emulator that will play this correctly 100%. Anyone know of a handheld NES emulator that does? GP2X or GP32 prefered but willing to consider anything :)

I've tried playing this, however I can't find a handheld NES emulator that will play this correctly 100%. Anyone know of a handheld NES emulator that does? GP2X or GP32 prefered but willing to consider anything :)

I suppose you must have tried it with all of the GP2X NES emus? I too am interested in playing Elite on the GP2X one day. I have never played the game, but I have always read such good reviews of it.

How are you planning to port it to GP2X? :blink:

Well that's quite simple really. Since it will be made up from my code + (two of my friends as it is a joint project) I will know how everything works quite easily. So it makes sense that it would be possible to port one of my own games.
It will have to be optimised for the GP2X And I would have to use one of the OGL libs that are being worked on.
Models will have to be simplified, etc. But I would say it is possible...

NOTE: Last post I'm making here about my space game project! Further info if needed can be obtained through a PM to me. ;) I don't went this thread to be derailed off topic! :)

Back