One of Us is Fighting Against Cancer

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Hello Everyone, I have been in touch with Milinks, who has been active on the boards especially regarding Oolite recently, and some of you may know, he is fighting against cancer at the moment, and it's tough. The Pandora has helped him through his everyday life at the hospital, and he wanted to share with us what he is going through. This is a very humbling story, I hope you can all read it.

--> Continue Reading

cancertop.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, what a moving story. I wish him and his family all the best. I hope he will overcome his cancer and recover speedily! 

Im sitting here thinking of something to say that can help or be meaningful, your legacy to me, which i suppose i am the decider of in a way, and to me has nothing to do with alive or not, other than an up-until now point, you are an inspiration.

I havent read about the oolite before, because i always assumed it was a light version of openoffice. Truth be told the content thereof isnt the important part, you are an inspiration.

So since i am talking to you in a sort of direct non-direct way, there are many ways to die, but there is only one way to stay alive. Cherish that strength, it is, as we say in Norway, never so bad that it isnt good for something.

I hope you mustn't sell your pandora, videogames is a way of doing without painkillers that has gained recognition in palliative care.

Hi, I would just like to say thankyou for the comments. Pain and hardship is relative, (they say it all starts with the relatives :) ), Almost everyone in their lifetime will come across cancer, be it themselves, family or friends, it is unfortunately a "common" illness. Not knowing when you will die is a sobering thing to think of, but living hardship is just as bad. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that although I don't know my outcome, or when, there are so many people that have hardships of their own that affect their lives. I've got a label, so its easy for me to point a finger at my sorrow, but so many people have their own struggles which are just as much life altering, my thoughts are with those, I would never want anyone to think that just because I have a "tag" that my thoughts arent with others whose lives, for whatever reason are really difficult. I wrote the words because I needed to give something back, and its the only thing I'm able to do, so thankyou all, thanks Eki for giving me the opportunity to hopefully help others. All the best milinks

Wise words milinks, stay strong and good luck with the fight.

This from the blog post really moved me :

For about a week, I could not bring myself to pick up the Pandora, it may sound silly, but for that time I felt that I had this most serious of issues to face, and to distract my thoughts from that by picking up a gaming console, was insulting to my illness, as though I wasn’t taking things seriously. An avid reader before, I stopped reading, the fear that I would not get to the end of a book or certain series of books, praying at night that I would be given time to finish the set of books I had started. I had to make each moment count. I could not sleep during the night as the neuropathic pains were so severe I cried in pain, but silly things such as making my hospital bed by 5am, my day NEEDING a routine, but still for a time i could not pick up the Pandora, for fear of not taking each day seriously, or using each hour wisely.
Hope you've found the will to read again as well. 

all the ***BEST*** from here to you!!!

may you feel strong and not too worried about this bad

situation!

it's verry moving to read this and i hope you have a better

situation in the near future.

in the end it's all about caring and spreading love so keep

thinking positive even in this dark time!

on a technical side, i think there is not a single better

use of a pandora than to give a smile in a bad situation like

this. when you can get some positive moments not thinking

of the problems around you, so you have worried less and

maybe have more positive power then before, so you can

give your loved ones a smile or two more, so they feel better.

so again all the best and love!!!

rSl

"i care because you do" [aphex twin}

Hi to everyone, I'm not sure really where to begin, but firstly to say such a BIG thankyou to everyone that has had me in their thoughts over previous months. (For those people wondering what this person is on about, I was unforunately blessed with advanced cancer a while ago) It's not a case of ignoring the Pandora community, far from it! The plan of action was to get to a stage where I could pop up and go "whoop! whoop! The evil beast is dead! (not me by the way, meaning the Lymphoma within me).
    I'd got Christmas out the way, and my treatment seemed to be going really well, it had taken a lot of my time, energy and other things out of me, and I really didn't want to keep popping up every other day or week saying things are going good, or whatever. I really didnt want my input on the forum, the forum that has meant so much to me, to be some kinda sad blog on the ups and downs of my life, when I know that so many people are going through their own personal battles. I just didnt want to any post I put to reflect how I was, and then detract from the point of the post, if that makes sense.
    The thing is, Having been able to read a number of posts recently, and seeing how you guys have thought about me, I just felt I needed to put your minds at ease so to speak, that i haven't shuffled off this mortal coil, and rather than wonder, I'd let you know the score, so to speak. And I promise I'll cut it short :)
After Christmas I was hoping that things were going well, unfortunately my father suffered a heart attack and stroke, which had kept him hospitalised for some months. Unfortunately whilst visiting I picked up a viral and blood infection (work it out! you go to a hospital to dump your viruses at their door, and get better, you never think you'd become ill just by visiting lol!)
    Anywhoo! I picked up an infection of the blood, which didnt help with my Lymphoma. So to cut a long story short ( and you're all thinking this is the "short version)...
I've not been too well of late, and not so sure how things will be, I won't go into how my day goes, as it will put you off any meal you wish to eat lol! I've really enjoyed being part of the community, being disabled (apart from the cancer), It was an outlet for me, which i really enjoyed paticipating in. I've just not had the strength of late to use the computer, as it takes me a long time to overcome the physical problems each day.

I'm just going day by day, Hope is always a good thing. I'm awaiting some more test results, to see where I go from here, I just didnt want you guys to think I was being ignorant, and ignoring the good wishes that have been sent. I'm not sure how things will go, but whilst I'm able, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has thought of me and my family. I really hope that the community continues, as it is a friendship along with swapping knowledge, and has really helped me.

As Einstein once said,

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

But I was always crap at games lol! :)

Thankyou to everyone, and your thoughts mean a lot, a HELL of a lot! My thoughts go to all those who may stumble upon these words, with problems that they are strugglig with, I'm wishing you well. I hope this all makes sense, as my brain doesnt work as well as my thoughts, or ...  my thoughts don't work as well as my brain, but hopefully you'll understand.
Best regards, milinks ( Mark Lincoln)

Glad to know you are still there. I can see the fight is not over, and I certainly don't have your ease with words, so, continue the fight!

Glad to know you are still there. I can see the fight is not over, and I certainly don't have your ease with words, so, continue the fight!

I'm glad you're still at the forefront of the  community PtitSeb, It's taken me a few days to write this post (my wife working nights to help) its given me time to type my thoughts, you are an inspiraction to so many, with your input to the community (not sure if that makes sense)

That thing it is something that should not have ever existed. From my heart, my best wishes.

All the best to you, hope you conquer cancer.. My mother had breast cancer, and we thought she had won.. sadly enough it came back... My brother in law died 2 years ago from livercancer.. so I know that bastard to well. Never stop going to your examinations! Never.. my Mother could have saved her and us a lot of troubles if she went regularly.

But enough of the sad stories. Get better and keep the faith!

Milinks, you and your wife are paragons of courage. I am proud to have had the chance to know you both.

Back