Okay Then, Can We Make The Gp2x Emulate ..

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
.. Apple Newton(MessagePad)?

I know, I know .. no touch-screen .. but nevertheless, there is a veritable depth of control to be plumbed which might offer interesting results, in the D-Pad/Joystick, Ext i/o, USB, SDIO, etc. We can probably hack Wacom into it, if we want.. and how cool would that be, a little GP2X and touchpad foldout, waaaay cool chic, yeah.

but .. can we do the emulation?

Palm Pilot? need we only SDL'ize copilot, or is it already done, anyone know?

.. Apple Newton(MessagePad)?

I know, I know .. no touch-screen .. but nevertheless, there is a veritable depth of control to be plumbed which might offer interesting results, in the D-Pad/Joystick, Ext i/o, USB, SDIO, etc. We can probably hack Wacom into it, if we want.. and how cool would that be, a little GP2X and touchpad foldout, waaaay cool chic, yeah.

but .. can we do the emulation?

Palm Pilot? need we only SDL'ize copilot, or is it already done, anyone know?

Newton had a higher res screen so no.

Palm? yeah maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Higher res is not a problem with the builtin scaler function in the chip and TV out.

Oh yeah reading text all scaled down would be real great ;)
Here is your post scaled down...
scalezoom0dz.jpg

Wow, thats one B*tch to read.

OK, I'm going to sound like a grumpy old bitch here but... I really hate these posts that say "can we emulate this or that".

We don't do anything. What happens in the GP32 scene, and what will happen in the GP2X scene, is that a few developers will produce stuff that interests them, and other people may or may not use it. If you want to be able to do something with the GP2X, don't whine about it on GP32X! Get stuck in and do it yourself. Then release it, and people will appreciate your brilliance.

Remember, if something that you want for GP2X doesn't happen, there's only one person to blame... you.

Hey .. I didn't say I wouldn't be involved in the effort, I just wanted to get the OTHER DEV's opinion on what it would take .. I am a Developer, quite active, and as soon as I get a GP2X to start with, you'll see the results of my efforts.. I have a game under way, and I have other idea's for what I want to write for the GP2X, which I'll flesh out more when we actually have the hardware.

So, on that note, its interesting to hear the response ..

If you're a developer you should put this in the developer forum. You'll probably get better response there.

The general forum is the place where the "l337 kidz" get to scream questions about ps1 and n64 emulation ;)

More to point.. I don't think there is any Newt emu out there, not that people haven't started them.. not much is really known about the internals. Certainly, its a touchscreen device anyway, and not all that much software for it.

Copilot as mentioned would be a far better target, but it tends to need a beefier machine.

jeff

Sure, and whilst we're trying to get it to emulate the Newton by hacking it around why not emulate a toaster!

Sure, it doesn't have a timer, a heating element, or slots to put the toast, but we could hack those in... how cool would it be to have a GP2X that could not only warm our baked goods but toast bread and warm our hands!

Aw man, I didnt think you were gonna tell anyone about our GP2xTOaST project until we had the bugs in the SDL alpha ironed out!

(It only does one side of the Toast swapfile at present - and never butters right to the edges... something to do with a lack of host powered usb I think).

#Wonderdog

Higher res is not a problem with the builtin scaler function in the chip and TV out.

Oh yeah reading text all scaled down would be real great ;)

TV out can do max res of 1024x768, so reading it on your TV would not be a problem.

Not that I care for crappy PDAs that are almost un-emulatable.
And yes, I agree people shouldn't just post "Emulate it!" or "Port this game!", it doesn't work.

We should be focussing on Guncon drivers, USB controller drivers, and games/emulators to take advantage of them.

Let's make this the smallest, most portable home console ever!

well, now i know all the negatives, i guess i'll just give up and forget about porting copilot, or trying to get involved in a messagepad emul ..

and, for future reference, i'm definitely not going to ask you guys what your opinions are on emulating something, since its so passé to do so .. sheesh. what a bag of negatives.

That's because every couple of days, it's "Can it emulate this?" or "Can it emlate that?" The system hasn't even been shipped yet, and people are trying to ask about all the possibilities.

I myself am a bit sick of the emulation questions.

Back