Okay Tech Heads, How Do I...

lubidog

So I have backed up all my MP3s, on about 9 dvds. I want to print out what is on each one, but it will take me HOURS to type out everything. How can I take a copy of what's on each dvd and print out a list for each one? Even if it's just a snapshot of what is on each one etc...

Thanks, I...I just know you'll come through for me you clever clogs you....!

lubidog posted on Dec 22 2006 at 10:21 AM said:
So I have backed up all my MP3s, on about 9 dvds. I want to print out what is on each one, but it will take me HOURS to type out everything. How can I take a copy of what's on each dvd and print out a list for each one? Even if it's just a snapshot of what is on each one etc...

Thanks, I...I just know you'll come through for me you clever clogs you....!

Windows, Linux or MacOS?

Last edited by a moderator:
start > run > cmd
d:
(assuming d: is your dvd drive)
dir

if you have folders on the dvd and want to see whats inside them too do a dir /s

select the mark option, select the text and ctrl + c and paste the list into a text editor or excel and do what you want.

Hmmmm - well - the search tool will give you a full list, but I don't think it will be printable unless you screenshot it, which would seem a little bit excessive.

This might prove useful, though, although it doesn't step down into sub directories as far as I can see - this is a little trickier, and I don't think it's possible from a DOS prompt.

<edit> I lie - having just seen the above post. What you probably want then is:

dir /a /-p /b /s /o:gen e:\ > myfiles.txt

(where e:\ is your DVD drive)

</edit>

Have you got playlists for each DVD?

That'll give more info than a directory list

And if you're lucky it will be a text format already

mrben posted on Dec 22 2006 at 06:02 AM said:
dir /a /-p /b /s /o:gen e:\ > myfiles.txt

(where e:\ is your DVD drive)

Javacat posted on Dec 22 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
You could also try:

tree /F

Thanks a ton also. I've been trying to do something like this for a while but I'm too stubborn to admit defeat and look online for answers(when it comes to my PC)! Now answers that pop up right in front of me ... I'll gladly take. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back