Release O2Em Odyssey 2 Emulator

Hitnrun

select.jpg

O2EM Odyssey 2 emulator 1.18-0
http://o2em.sourceforge.net/

Use "B" for the button, and "ENTER" to start.

When run the first time, it will create the "bios" and "roms" directories into appdata/o2em. Put your files there and play.
Roms will ONLY work on this directory.

Download here
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,186

Thanks, this is almost as retro as it can get. I will try it out once I get my P.

Nice! I was planning to take a look at this since I heard Allegro was ported, but I'm kind of glad you beat me to it ;-)

Hitnrun said:
When run the first time, it will create the "bios" and "roms" directories into appdata/o2em. Put your files there and play.
Strange... Where does this limitation come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
SteveM said:
Nice! I was planning to take a look at this since I heard Allegro was ported, but I'm kind of glad you beat me to it ;-)

Hitnrun said:
Strange... Where does this limitation come from?

This is fixed on the code, I will patch it later for the Pandora.

Just one thing I forgot to write, I don't know why but some games only works with joystick 1 and some with joystick 2, so some games were not working with the arrow keys, only with ADWS, so to overcome this on this first version, I mapped both controls to the arrow and B keys, so 2 player games are not playable at the moment (both players move to the same directions!).

Hitnrun said:
Just one thing I forgot to write, I don't know why but some games only works with joystick 1 and some with joystick 2, so some games were not working with the arrow keys, only with ADWS, so to overcome this on this first version, I mapped both controls to the arrow and B keys, so 2 player games are not playable at the moment (both players move to the same directions!).
I was going to mention this. Other that that it works.

It would be nice to be able to go back to a rom slection screen when in a game. Also to be able to set a rom path would be nice as I usually have all my roms on my second SD card in a rom directory. But those are just nice-to-haves.

Great work!

mrdremel said:
Hitnrun said:

It would be nice to be able to go back to a rom slection screen when in a game. Also to be able to set a rom path would be nice as I usually have all my roms on my second SD card in a rom directory. But those are just nice-to-haves.

Great work!

These 2 things are the next ones on the TODO. Besides figuring the weird control issue.

Hitnrun said:
mrdremel said:
Hitnrun said:

Great work!

These 2 things are the next ones on the TODO. Besides figuring the weird control issue.
Or otherwise as a workaround, just a key-combo (or just a key) in order to switch joystick layout for the dpad. press ctrl-1 for joystick 1 and ctrl-2 for joystick 2. Something like this should work fine. Or an option to set a custom layout, so 2 players can play on the same keyboard using a custom layout?

Stonesling for instance was a great game, where both players only needed one direction on each the joystick to play the whole game. It was a game which was about destroying the wall of the other players castle using a catapult. It was fired by pulling the joystick to a side for a certain amount of time. The longer it was pulled, the further it would sling the boulder.

Again, great work on porting this emulator!

Hitnrun said:
mrdremel said:
Hitnrun said:

Great work!

FIRSTLY THANKS THANKS THANKS - Along with FBReader these were my two wants !!!

Then apologies I have no way to test it, my pandora is not with me at the moment :( So my comments are based on memory!

Have you implemented the keyboard ? - The way the G7000 (as I knew it - I owned one :) ) use to work was pop a cartridge in THEN press a key on the keyboard for the "type" of game - This would then select two player / or 1 player / or 1 player vs computer. I know the dingoo version had similar weird issue with joystick but it was because the keyboard had not been emulated so the emulator just randomly (seemingly) started any type of game.

He also mapped both controls to the same key sequence, and I think (not been back to dingoo for a while) he left it in that state.

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:

Then apologies I have no way to test it, my pandora is not with me at the moment :( So my comments are based on memory!

Have you implemented the keyboard ? - The way the G7000 (as I knew it - I owned one :) ) use to work was pop a cartridge in THEN press a key on the keyboard for the "type" of game - This would then select two player / or 1 player / or 1 player vs computer. I know the dingoo version had similar weird issue with joystick but it was because the keyboard had not been emulated so the emulator just randomly (seemingly) started any type of game.

He also mapped both controls to the same key sequence, and I think (not been back to dingoo for a while) he left it in that state.

The Pandora has a full keyboard, it is the best O2 experience so far, everything works like a real O2!

To start a game you press a number, I had an Odyssey 2, as far as I remember, pressing "1" always started a one-player game, but the control issue still happens. As you say this also happens on dingo, this should be some oddity of the emulator that I have to track. And I will, you can be sure of it ;) As I said, I was one of the few who had this thing, only hearing the "Select Game" sound makes me have good memories!

Hitnrun said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:

The Pandora has a full keyboard, it is the best O2 experience so far, everything works like a real O2!

To start a game you press a number, I had an Odyssey 2, as far as I remember, pressing "1" always started a one-player game, but the control issue still happens. As you say this also happens on dingo, this should be some oddity of the emulator that I have to track. And I will, you can be sure of it ;) As I said, I was one of the few who had this thing, only hearing the "Select Game" sound makes me have good memories!

Excellent ... how about the sounds of space monster ... on gunfighter (the dude dying) ...fughhhh ... cant wait for my baby to come home .. Thanks again

Hitnrun said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:

My parents bought me and my sister one when I was 5 or 6 (that is 25 years ago!!). Indeed when I hear the select game sound, it's a true flashback. So pressing 1 or 2 to start a game was simple for me. It was like I have been playing on this console for all of these years. Kind of like a habit that really stuck I guess. Helicopter rescue doesn't run that well. It crashes when you go into the desert. But if's fun just to be able to start these games for me.

Back