O2em / G7000 Ported To Gp2x

spoyser

Website
Visit site
Since no one else seemed keen enough to port this emulator (http://o2em.sourceforge.net/) I decided I would have to get my hands dirty, lose my porting cherry and sort it out.

Anyway it is done now, there is no front end, rom selector or virtual keyboard but it is easy enough to write individual scripts to start up each game, I have included a few examples in the archive.

Now available here:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,1,1840

The Magnavox Odyssey 2 was known as the Philips G7000 (aka VideoPac computer) in Europe

You can upload it yourself in the file archive. Just register there and have fun uploading your emulator. ;>

Nice, as a kid a really enjoyed the baseball game (videopac Nr. 8).

VP08.GIF

terrahawks_anim1.gif

Wow, this is a most wonderfull surprise of the day. I am definitely going to check out it's compatibility. I'm dying for a round of KcMunchkin, Killers Bees and Terrahawks perhaps throw in a little Freedom Fighters.....

Great news - downloading now ..... :)

Nice one, this was my first console, I even had the computer programing cassette (not that I ever used it).

I think the space invaders game was the last ever computer game I completed.

Mark1970 posted on Oct 6 2006 at 02:02 PM said:
terrahawks_anim1.gif

Wow, this is a most wonderfull surprise of the day. I am definitely going to check out it's compatibility. I'm dying for a round of KcMunchkin, Killers Bees and Terrahawks perhaps throw in a little Freedom Fighters.....

Great news - downloading now ..... :)

Munchkin/Super-Mampfer, this was a classic, I had this cartridge too. The good thing with this game compared to Pac-Man is that you can stop your Munchkin and wait until the ghosts come closer before you eat the superpill

VP38.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Help please.
When start a game.gpe (i have put it the same game.bin in ROMS directory)
i see only black screen.
The bios is o2rom.bin and put in directory bios.
NOTHING DON'T START =(.

DARKGATE posted on Oct 6 2006 at 11:20 AM said:
Help please.
i see only black screen.
NOTHING DON'T START =(.

You probably have to write a script to get the games to run properly.

linoleum13 posted on Oct 6 2006 at 04:28 PM said:
DARKGATE posted on Oct 6 2006 at 11:20 AM said:
Help please.
i see only black screen.
NOTHING DON'T START =(.

You probably have to write a script to get the games to run properly.

Yep you need to write a script, there are a few in the examples directory, eg the munchkin.gpe script will start the emulator and load in a rom called munchkin.bin located in the roms directory, ie

#!/bin/bash
cd /mnt/sd/o2em/
./o2em_gp2x.gpe munchkin.bin -novoice
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec ./gp2xmenu

(the -novoice parameter speeds up statring up as the voice samples do not need to be loaded in)

Hope that helps, has anyone got this to work yet, I was hoping it would be straight foward for people.to use.

Kcmunchkin ran once, also Timelord aka TerraHawks ran once, great framerate and sound btw. But alas now all I get is a black screen. Does the emulator save any configuration data/settings or could file corruption occur for this to happen?

Mark1970 posted on Oct 7 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
Kcmunchkin ran once, also Timelord aka TerraHawks ran once, great framerate and sound btw. But alas now all I get is a black screen. Does the emulator save any configuration data/settings or could file corruption occur for this to happen?

Sounds very odd, no configuration is saved so can't be that.

A black screen tends to suggest that o2em_gp2x.gpe is being run without any command line parameters so I would suggest double checking your script files.

If no parameters are passed in the emulator simply prints out the command line options (which you wont see on the gp2x screen) and then exits. This causes the black screen as the gp2x menu doesn't get restarted.

If all else fails try reinstalling, thats all I can suggest as the emulator is so simple I can't think of anything that could cause what you are seeing.

Are your scripts in unix format?

spoyser posted on Oct 6 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
Since no one else seemed keen enough to port this emulator (http://o2em.sourceforge.net/) I decided I would have to get my hands dirty, lose my porting cherry and sort it out.

Anyway it is done now, there is no front end, rom selector or virtual keyboard but it is easy enough to write individual scripts to start up each game, I have included a few examples in the archive.

Now available here:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,1,1840

The Magnavox Odyssey 2 was known as the Philips G7000 (aka VideoPac computer) in Europe

Cool I remember these.

Good luck with it. Hope you will continue it and add a frontend, Vkeyboard etc.

spoyser posted on Oct 7 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
Mark1970 posted on Oct 7 2006 at 03:11 PM said:

Sounds very odd, no configuration is saved so can't be that.

A black screen tends to suggest that o2em_gp2x.gpe is being run without any command line parameters so I would suggest double checking your script files.

If no parameters are passed in the emulator simply prints out the command line options (which you wont see on the gp2x screen) and then exits. This causes the black screen as the gp2x menu doesn't get restarted.

If all else fails try reinstalling, thats all I can suggest as the emulator is so simple I can't think of anything that could cause what you are seeing.

That could very well be it. Illegal cr's in a notepad edited text file.

The first console I got! I was addicted to Kcmunchkin, loved that game. Fun to be able to play it on the GP2X again. Of course I tried playing Kcmunchkin on the GP2X first and it works great.

I had more games, but my memory is failing here.....

[/quote]
[/quote]

That could very well be it. Illegal cr's in a notepad edited text file. Indeed. With scipts created by a unix compliant text editor all fared well. And I replaced the batteries - that always helps with irratic gp2x behaviour ;)
Managed to get KcMunchkin, KcChase, Freedom Fighters, Timelord+, Killerbees+ running at full speed and full sound. I must say the little gp2x screen makes the Videopac's graphics look very clean and minimalist. Very nice gameplay. Great efford! Thanks for creating this port. Love it! Love it!

C64 emulation and now this on the gp2x is what makes my oldschool gamer's heart beat a little faster!

Back