Nvidia Shield Controller

Especially not their desktop GPUs.  That's where most Linux users grief came from, as they refuse to open up their driver tech.  That said, I still have more luck with Nvidia's binary blob than I do with Nouveaux every time I'm lumbered with an Nvidia graphics card to this day.

don't like Nvidia, don't buy their stuff...
Ndr35kT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually they do some annoying stuff with their closed x86 GPU driver. I.e. they disable PCI passthrough on purpose to only enable it on their extremely expensive Quadro and other professional cards.

That's why I'll get some other GPU in the near future. Even the cheap AMD ones support PCI passthrough.

(first I wanted to hack my Geforce card into a Quadro one, but that's a pain and afterwards the driver won't just enable PCI passthrough, but also some advanced OpenGL features which the card doesn't actually has, which will/could lead to problems. Also I don't have a backup card if something goes wrong. And I need multiple graphics cards anyway if I want to forward one. Which also leads to the problem of me buying the cheapest available motherboard for my CPU, which only has one PCI-E port, so I'll also need a better motherboard with 2 or better 3 accessible PCI-E ports. Damn)

^Not even their desktop GPUs?
nope, I don't like their attitude and they don't really help the Nouveau people. The Maxwell cards where tempting but I'm gaming on Linux and I don't want propritary drivers (at least not on my main machine). That just feels not right xD

Back