Nsfplay V1.2

kuwanger

Still Fresh
This is just a small announcement that my nsf player is actually working pretty decently now, so I've made another release (this time in the news forum since it seems news worthy). Put nsf files in //gpmm/nsf, nsfplay.fxe in //game, and the onscreen instructions should be self-explanatory.

nsfplay v1.2
Patches against Mirko SDK v085, so you can actually compile the included source

@Mirko: If you feel this violates your license, I'll remove the binary from the zip file and license each part separately.

kuwanger posted on Aug 19 2004 at 05:24 PM said:
This is just a small announcement that my nsf player is actually working pretty decently now, so I've made another release (this time in the news forum since it seems news worthy). Put nsf files in //gpmm/nsf, nsfplay.fxe in //game, and the onscreen instructions should be self-explanatory.

nsfplay v1.2
Patches against Mirko SDK v085, so you can actually compile the included source

@Mirko: If you feel this violates your license, I'll remove the binary from the zip file and license each part separately.
Nice...

Of couse you can release it, this way...

I like the idear supporting different sound player with the SDK, your plugable system looks nice...

Thanx for showing me 2 bugs in my SDK...

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeez, thanks a bunch :)
It works great :)

I hope you'll continue this great player :)

A few suggestions:

- Possibility of putting all NSF files in one large ZIP file (as a lot of small individual files need a lot more space on yor SMC) or something similar (like sid.pak for the SID Player)

- You already read out the song name when you select a song - maybe it could be read out when you first scan the directory and create a cache file with the full song name (not just the shortened 8.3 filenames.) :))

Thanks again and keep up the good work! :)

mr.mirko posted on Aug 19 2004 at 11:21 PM said:
I like the idear supporting different sound player with the SDK, your plugable system looks nice...
So... it actually is pluggable?
This could turn out to be a dream come true for all retro-sound lovers, as a lot of xmms and other source-codes for various retroplayers are out :)

Greeeeat news :)

Last edited:
It would be cool to have a unified player for all those old rom-music. I'd like to listen to some SNES and GBx music, but there is no player out for this yet (afaik).
Hopefully, your plugin system will change this oneday.

What he means by pluggable (I assume) is the gp_rendersound can be set to point at a renderer (like gp_rendermod). However, that doesn't work at all well for nsf files (I think the overhead of doing such small (1920 byte) spurts is what kills it). My gp_addRing(...) though makes it relatively easy to make continuous sound generating any size sample in two buffers.

As for supporting other sound, I plan to support spc files. And the idea of scanning all nsf files for titles sounds like a good idea (I might decide to sort on it, actually). I dislike the idea of using one zip, though, as that makes it a rather large pain to add/remove files over pclink. Of course, if I supported zips, I could use the title from there... However, if my plan of using libunrar goes according to plan for spc files, I'll consider adding support for an rar nsf archive (maybe rsf (rns would be too similar to rsn, the extension given to rar spc archive)). The only issue then is making a cleaner interface for having nested files.

an SPC player would be great! i've never really been into NES games so i don't really know a lot of soundtracks, but i have a few favorites on the SNES. keep it up!

I'm not sure why the readme tells the .fxe to be put in /GAME because with the original firmware, it won't show up anywhere. Thusly, just put it in /GPMM.

Works great, btw. :)

Back