Novatech

@LHC same here! Stupid m$ even their bugfixes are buggy

@Squidge
I'm always on a tight budget, I'm a student!

I'm not going to get a new proccessor now, £170 would be better spent on getting a new monitor. I don't want to have to replace my almost brand new socket A motherboard, getting a comparable 939 one would be expensive (my mobo has shit like firewire, 6 USB, decent onboard sound and graphics, two NIC's and other fancy things)

That's fine, all I'm saying is that the socket 939 one wouldn't have cost much more, and would have given you a much better upgrade path, as it's only in the "maturity" part of it's lifecycle, so will get a few more cpu's before it gets replaced. To upgrade your current system will normally result in something like a 25% increase in cpu speed, but will probably give something like a 20% increase in applications (maybe even less), so not really worth considering. To go any further requires another motherboard change.

Myself? Well, I've still got my aging P4 2.53Ghz. I'm waiting for the AMD64 Dual Core processors and a decent Socket 940 motherboard before I upgrade, otherwise I'll be paying silly money for something like a 1Ghz upgrade.

Socket939 & 940 were both talked about in September'03, which motherboards galore not long afterwards, so both quite old now. However, didn't Socket 754 come out shortly after the extinction of the dinosaurs, or somewhere around that time? ;)

Novatech is an amazing company.. ordered from them 3 or 4 times now

Recently got a strip of 400mhz 512MB DDR PC3200 Ram for £28 from there :D

Also Delivery is Very good.. I ordered on the sunday and it said it woudnlt be here untill a week on monday (8 Days) as I went for the cheapest delivery BUT It arrived on the Tuesday :D (Only 2 Days instead of 8 :D )

Back