Nokia N900 Cpu Overclocked To 1Ghz

F**K YES!! AWESOME!! THAT IS F**KING AWESOME!

Edit: It HAS to be an April Fools day joke!

That's crazy!

It's saying CPU usage is 35% - That's a lot of usage from something that is 1700MHZ...

All that CPU just to see the system specs?

Hahaha, that's definitely a fake/joke picture.

Someone probably just edited their conky.rc to display 1700mhz instead of fetching the actual frequency.

I don't think there's anything stopping an N900 bursting at 1700mhz if you can keep it cold enough and don't mind it crashing constantly.

mali: with respect to the PSX emulator, that's not slowness but lack of optimisation.

And, furthermore, due to the open nature of Maemo it would be completely impossible for Nokia to prevent overclocking in future firmwares. At the moment it's literally a kernel replacement to enable the overclock, there's not a thing they can do to prevent that, and even if it were technically possible it would highly undermine their "open" ideals.

Now whether or not they can detect a history of overclocking when it comes to warrantee claims is a whole different story!

@WoD
I'm not sure if that's the full story. Cpasjuste ported Ari's N64 emu to N900 and it runs slower than on Pandora. Something on maemo seems to be slowing down the system.

He might just not be able to use some calling conventions as some of the linked libraries wouldn't like that.
Or maybe he even used different compiler flags from the beginning. Possibly the drivers are older too for the video hardware.

:D
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=596981&postcount=1118

edit:
On a more serious note, buying a used N900 on eBay in a year or so might become a gamble. Chances are you get a lemon worn out from extensive overclocking :(

mali said:
One note about N900, Nokia messed up big time, cause they didn't add USB host support. It wasn't hard to set up a gamepad on my N800 running KDE after some tweaking, but it's impossible on the N900.

The N900 does support USB host, theres even an app you can install in the extras-devel tree to get proper support for it...

Last edited by a moderator:
^ So they solved it? Thought it was a hardware limitation. Have you got a TMO link at hand?

edit:
The main thread still says no. Maybe that app in extras-devel is part of their efforts to hack in support.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31921&page=67

I've never heard of a solution to the lack of USB host support but, hey, you learn something new every day!

I could easily believe that Maemo slows down emulators, it does a good enough job of slowing itself down... which is why an overclock to 900mhz is so nice. It actually runs at a decent speed now, 600mhz just didn't cut it. Had some weirdness playing a movie last night though, it seemed to stutter for a moment and then play extremely quickly to catch up, either a side effect of overclocking or a duff movie.

Nokia bought speed-sorted chips for the N800 and N810. I don't know if they did that also for the N900, but it's not impossible. Just as (another) warning against simple compararisions with the Pandora chip.

As to USB host, if you read through that enormous thread it's clear that Nokia didn't have much choice.. if they still wanted to confirm to USB consortium specs.

-Tor

off topic warning

actually, the ipad has really close to pandoras specs. same cpu (if another revision - they say the silicon is closer to a snapdragon), same GPU, same amount of ram. ok, a bit more flash, but the rest is really close.

Tor said:
Nokia bought speed-sorted chips for the N800 and N810. I don't know if they did that also for the N900, but it's not impossible. Just as (another) warning against simple compararisions with the Pandora chip.

As to USB host, if you read through that enormous thread it's clear that Nokia didn't have much choice.. if they still wanted to confirm to USB consortium specs.

-Tor

OMAP3530 is not OMAP3430, I think that's all that really needs to be said on the matter.

Non-OMAP chips are even less comparable, even if they're also using Cortex-A8.

hch said:
actually, the ipad has really close to pandoras specs. same cpu (if another revision - they say the silicon is closer to a snapdragon), same GPU, same amount of ram. ok, a bit more flash, but the rest is really close.
same cpu is a speculation (it may have the same ISA but different innards) and the gpu is known not to be the same. also, different lithography processes so everything else is practically irrelevant.

darkblu said:
hch said:
same cpu is a speculation (it may have the same ISA but different innards) and the gpu is known not to be the same. also, different lithography processes so everything else is practically irrelevant.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple-A4-Teardown/2204/3

look at step 20. A8+SGX 535+256 MB RAM

don't you tell me this is a guess....

Have you guys with N900's had any USB port issues?

I've been reading a lot of bad things about the USB port actually falling out and/or misaligned and failing.

I've found a few on eBay which I'm looking at buying asap but just have some concerns with USB port.

kingoddball said:
Have you guys with N900's had any USB port issues?

I've been reading a lot of bad things about the USB port actually falling out and/or misaligned and failing.

I've found a few on eBay which I'm looking at buying asap but just have some concerns with USB port.
I haven't, but a couple of my friends have.

Thanks!

That bloody sucks! N900 is not released in AUS and may not get released. I will have no warranty.... hmm.. Might look at an epoxy mod to keep that sucker stuck in there!

Back