Nois2sa

oh this looks hot, with this and spout i'll be amused for hours =)

can we expect tweaks to the port as SDL/rlyeh's libs flesh out? or was this a one-off? sounds like there are some niggles but it's playable, HELL YES!!

BIG UPS Hc232

Damn. This is probably the best thing for the GP2X now, right up there with Gunstar Heroes. Damn fine job. The sooner anything by the guy who made this is ported, the better- his works are real marvels, and great for a system like the GP2X.

Hi,

Some infos about this port :
- SDL_Mixer was replaced by a direct use of MikMod
- It uses Paeryn hardware accelerated SDL

Runs to slow compared to the mighty Zodiac port from Vilmos!(Maybe overclocking?)
Concerning the overall speed of the game, Chui's original Dreamcast port was twice as fast as the port I released. It was, in my opinion, too fast compared to speed of the PC version. So tried to change things to match the speed of the PC version.

In the next version I will probably release 2 versions : this one and another one with the same speed of Dreamcast (and probably Zodiac) port

P.S. Can we add MIDI files later like on the Zodiac version!?!
No. But you can replace .mod files.

Every once in awhile there is a sudden pause in the game and then it continues
I noticed it too, but I don't know what the cause of this...

, and when there are a lot of things onscreen it slows down quite a bit, but overall it is very good.
The slow down is done on purpose !

I think (did not try it...) that you can disable the slow down by adding the -nowait option in the noiz2sa.gpe script.

And for the future, I plan :
- to port the 0.51 version of the game (mod files replaced by ogg files)
- to try to improve things like the sound problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed the pause in other things too, like the PacMame thing (Ms. Pacman) - the skip after a few seconds in the game. It's a minor annoyance, but could it have something to do with the SDL implementation?

Heh, that sounds pretty good.
On the original beta's by Vilmos, the game was a lot slower then it's now on the zodiac, and for me was very playable, now, it's so fast I can hardly get past level 4 (when my controller worked properly of course)

this game rocks the house.

coolest thing so far that I have seen on gp2x.

love it.

somebody please start working on a geometry wars clone.

it is the sickest game on 360.

or how about exit for psp.

fun innovation.

thanks so much for this game.

I have to drop Kenta Cho a mail again about the GP2X. Last time he told me he might get one if he finds it somewhere in Akihabara. He didn't want one for free, though... :blink:

...the only issue I see is the slowdown when there are lots and lots of things on screen. But you can say it's "bullet-time"  :p

Holy crap, that's the best use of the phrase I've seen in three years, you win the Internet. I'm so totally using that in the future!

In rRootage, there was 'intentional' slowdown that kicked in when the screen got too crowded. I -think- Noiz2sa had the same 'feature', too...

In rRootage, there was 'intentional' slowdown that kicked in when the screen got too crowded. I -think- Noiz2sa had the same 'feature', too...

As hc232 said in his post above "The slow down is done on purpose ! I think (did not try it...) that you can disable the slow down by adding the -nowait option in the noiz2sa.gpe script. ".

It is completely normal and quite common in this style of SHMUP (sometimes called 'bullet hell', and much more popular in Japan than the west.) to have slowdown at particular times to allow skilled players to steer through bullet patterns that would seem (almost) impossible at full speed.

edit: messed up quote tags

Fantastic port. Well done, most enjoyable.

I've noticed a short pause when playing this, but it also seems to crop up in other things. Usually just after the application has been started.

I have updated the Noiz2sa port.

Version 2 :
- should now work with read-only NAND
- now plays stg9.mod module on title screen
- has slightly better sound handling
- now has an -insanespeed option to play noiz2sa with original Chui's port speed and bullet drawing

Download HERE

Back