No News

Any status on where the pandora units are at now? I am between 3500 and 3600 in line

I don't think even the first 1k are out the door yet. I think 100 are shipping out this coming week...or have they shipped? I'm a little fuzzy. That'll either bring us into the high 900s, I believe, or actually top 1k.

I know that the Chinese factory had 1k-3k cases ready to ship, but I don't know if the team has RECEIVED any of the cases.

I'm also not sure how many boards the team has, or is expecting. And since there hasn't ever been a full no-holds-barred, mass production of the boards, I don't know if we know how many boards a day the factory can produce. (The pic & place machine needs to be calibrated every time it's put on hold for any length of time if I'm not mistaken.)

The biggest holdup right now is the ongoing quality control with the nubs at the factory producing them. Supposedly once that's done they can get them all produced in one huge batch.

When that's done, I think the biggest holdups will be manufacturing the boards with soldered on nubs, shipping, and assembly. (Hopefully they'll have most if not all the cases for assembly by then.)

2 months barring any slips holds true I believe.

Anybody feel free to pitch in with corrections.

Well, those units that should've been shipped last week are waiting since Wednesday to get their firmware.

You might remember that Craig wanted to put HF4 onto the units... and something went wrong and broke his flashing SD Card while trying to upgrade it.

Problem is: When no firmware is on, you need to use a special procedure to create the card... so he couldn't just copy over the files and use it.

I created new cards for him and they are on the way to UK right now. So this week these units shall ship.

As mentioned in the nubs-Thread, these will be the last ones with tested nubs. We now wait for the new nubs. Most of the tested ones work fine, but we still get too many back and that just adds to our costs.

What is the special procedure? Or is that a secret? Just wondering how it works without a firmware...

What is the special procedure? Or is that a secret? Just wondering how it works without a firmware...

No secret, there are guides for the Beagleboard floating around (it's OMAP3-standard).

Just search for "Bootable SD Card BeagleBoard" or similar to find some guides (I can look one up for you later, if you want).

Craig has a Mac - and we're not aware of any Mac-Guides :/

Well, those units that should've been shipped last week are waiting since Wednesday to get their firmware.

You might remember that Craig wanted to put HF4 onto the units... and something went wrong and broke his flashing SD Card while trying to upgrade it.
FFS Craig. This story had better not have a Mac in it.

Are any of those last boards with tested nubs going out of the door in you shop ED?

Frankly I would hate to get just now with this last batch of "tested nubs" a email that my order is shipped,

I'd prefer to w8 for the boards with the new nubs (yeah really, I want my Pandora later... ;) ).. don't want the hassle of sending it back and so ;)

And by the way, aren't there people @ Craig's place who can solder?

Sounds a bit silly to me to send all the speakers and so to you, you send it to craig and then back to .de :)

IF B) production ramps up, I assume you're not going to solder all those speakers in, do you?

No secret, there are guides for the Beagleboard floating around (it's OMAP3-standard).

Just search for "Bootable SD Card BeagleBoard" or similar to find some guides (I can look one up for you later, if you want).

Craig has a Mac - and we're not aware of any Mac-Guides :/
Mac guide: boot an ubuntu live-cd :)

... and make sure you unplug all devices containing ext2/ext3 filesystems before you reboot, otherwise the osx bootloader might crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are any of those last boards with tested nubs going out of the door in you shop ED?

Yep, the usual 1/4th. So depending on how many have broken nubs already, it should be about 15 - 20 shipping soon from me (I also keep some for RMAs)

Frankly I would hate to get just now with this last batch of "tested nubs" a email that my order is shipped,

I'd prefer to w8 for the boards with the new nubs (yeah really, I want my Pandora later... ;) ).. don't want the hassle of sending it back and so ;)

If your order number is 24xx, then you should probably tell me before I ship it out ;)

And by the way, aren't there people @ Craig's place who can solder?

Sounds a bit silly to me to send all the speakers and so to you, you send it to craig and then back to .de :)

IF B) production ramps up, I assume you're not going to solder all those speakers in, do you?

Well, I'm soldering as many as I can here for batch 1. It saves us costs.

If production ramps up, we have more money to spend on things like that.

If I can't keep up with soldering for the first batch, some will be soldered at Craigs place too, I guess.

If your order number is 24xx, then you should probably tell me before I ship it out ;)
So the number shipped out is that high? I ordered the first day so I should be soon I think. It is October and I still haven't gotten mine, I hope it is soon, but I'll hang on till the bitter end no matter what.

I don't believe that ED's order numbers actually pertain to how many units have been shipped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

The last I heard, the next one hundred Pandoras to go out should mean that one thousand units have been shipped (though bear in mind that some customers ordered multiple machines, along with other factors that mean that this doesn't necessarily mean that a thousand individuals have one unit each).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that Pro has a big epenis it's just that ours are so small. :D
Oh re-he-heally? I'm going to go ahead and revoke your e-man cards for standing in line and collectively agreeing that you're small.

Aaaand...i'm going to give you each a prescription for "two testicles". Now quit playing with yourselves and get back to waiting impatiently for your Pandoras, mmkay? B)

I don't believe that ED's order numbers actually pertain to how many units have been shipped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

No, it's the order number from my shop, an increasing numbers for all orders.

The first order was a GP2X First Edition (order #7... the rest were testings).

So any other order (SD Cards, WIZ, GP2X, etc.) increases that number, too :)

The last I heard, the next one hundred Pandoras to go out should mean that one thousand units have been shipped (though bear in mind that some customers ordered multiple machines, along with other factors that mean that this doesn't necessarily mean that a thousand individuals have one unit each).

As far as I'm aware, I'm due to be getting a replacement Pandora in this upcoming 100 (fingers crossed), so things like this will lessen the total number of Pandorans who've gotten their machines so far... ;)

Back