Nintendo Community Fangame Convention

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
I don't know how much anyone here is interested in fangames, but in case anyone is, I just wanted to give a shoutout to the Nintendo Community Fangame Convention (NCFC). It's a yearly online "convention" where people who make fangames can show these fangames off, and there's some other related events. This year's NCFC just started today. You can find it here:

http://nintendocfc.com

Most of the games are made with Game Maker and thus Windows-only, which is partly why I'm hosting a "workshop" there on Wednesday where I will try to guide a transition from Game Maker into Python. There is one game that should work on non-Windows platforms, Super Mario War: Stomp Arena, which is written in Java.

HTML5 transition seems like a better route, then it will run on anything without the need to install anything or do anything complex at all, just a URL.

Last edited by a moderator:
HTML5 transition seems like a better route, then it will run on anything without the need to install anything or do anything complex at all, just a URL.

I don't know Javascript. I do know Python and Pygame, and quite well at that. Therefore, for me, guiding towards Python/Pygame is the better route.

I honestly don't get why you're so religious about Javascript. It's better than Flash and Game Maker for sure, and maybe it's better than Python too, but you talk as if using languages other than Javascript is pointless, like Javascript is the only future for games because Javascript games can be embedded in a web page. That might be valid, but only if Javascript is just as elegant for game development as Python or C++ or Java or (insert language here), and that's debatable and partly down to personal preference. Personally, when I tried to learn Javascript, I got a massive headache, though I do want to give it another chance eventually.

2bit: Super Mario War: Stomp Arena should work on GNU/Linux, and it's the only one, hence why I gave it a particular shout-out. :)

Sorry , was paying more attention to movie than ... the other thing at that time ...

Edit : boy that game does look cool though .

I learned a little Java in school, programming calculators, traffic lights and such but I didn't like it. Can't remember waht editor we used but it sure fabricated some weird shit he he. Also Java is well known for security leaks which is a no go for me. Its annoying as hell that there is so much depending on Java today. I gave up deactivating it in my browser a long time ago xD

cloud stuff, web based gaming is not really my thing.

the fangame convention seams interesting but why Nintendo and not retro games in generell?

I'd like to learn Python some day. Always wanted to try making a Mega Man like jump'n game. You think Python/Pygame would be suitable?

I'd like to learn Python some day. Always wanted to try making a Mega Man like jump'n game. You think Python/Pygame would be suitable?

Sure, it would be perfectly fine for that, I think. You might also want to check out Pyglet; IIRC, you can use that with PyPy, which can speed things up quite a bit, and it also uses OpenGL normally instead of SDL. Speed would be the most likely difficulty developing a side-scroller in Pygame since one of the key optimizations you typically use with Pygame is to only update parts of the screen that have changed, and if all of the screen has changed, a frame rate drop will be experienced. Then again, it could be that most computers are fast enough for this to be a minor issue; we'll see, because I'm developing a side-scrolling puzzle game in Python/Pygame right now, though I'm still developing the engine right now.

I learned a little Java in school, programming calculators, traffic lights and such but I didn't like it. Can't remember waht editor we used but it sure fabricated some weird shit he he. Also Java is well known for security leaks which is a no go for me. Its annoying as hell that there is so much depending on Java today. I gave up deactivating it in my browser a long time ago xD
Please don't mix up Java and Javascript, they're rather different beasties. Javascript is part of your browser and runs inside it, while Java in a browser is running in a virtual machine inside a plugin for your browser. You can configure your browser not to run Javascript, but it'll break an awful lot of websites.

Regarding game coding being more elegant in C++, I don't think I've ever seen anything elegant in C++ ;)

Regarding game coding being more elegant in C++, I don't think I've ever seen anything elegant in C++ ;)
Well, not until you put it side-by-side with anything written in Javascript anyway ^_^

Back