News for Underworld fans..

I'm a bit skeptical at all the devs or fans of older games who want to bring them back today (often with the help of crowdfunding). Sure, some games were too ambitious for their times, but this doesn't mean that they're good now. 

I didn't back Elite: Dangerous, because as much as I loved Elite back then, I now expect more from such a game. This is the same for Underworld. They were fine back then, but a new underworld with updated graphics and gameplay won't be groundbreaking (actually it already exists, it's Ark Fatalis). Unless they innovate as much as U:UW innovated back then, I'm not really excited by having it return.

I'm a bit skeptical at all the devs or fans of older games who want to bring them back today (often with the help of crowdfunding).
It;s like the 80s singers coming back in the early 2000s to make a quick buck :) banking on nostalgia!

Personally I am also a little disappointed with Elite Dangerous, it's too much like Elite 1. 

Personally I am also a little disappointed with Elite Dangerous, it's too much like Elite 1.
...Which is exactly why I love it so much! It's all the best bits of Frontier (well, nearly) and Elite all rolled into one gorgeous package.

D.

...Which is exactly why I love it so much! It's all the best bits of Frontier (well, nearly) and Elite all rolled into one gorgeous package.

D.
This reads like the last discussion about remakes I've read.

Some liked "Superfrog HD" more, because it's basically the same

and some preferred "Giana Sisters - Twisted Dreams" because it evolved the game mechanics in addition to the graphics.

I enjoy both approaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.
Actually I would have preferred if Elite Dangerous was more like Frontier and less than Elite 1...

D.
 Actually I would have preferred if Elite Dangerous was more like Frontier and less than Elite 1...
How so? The only thing missing from Elite Dangerous is the Orrery view to augment the system info screen (and external/rear view cameras). If you're missing the flight model of Frontier, then just turn flight assist off - full newtonian flight mechanics in that mode.

D.

Back