News for Linux on GOG

Not that it's a bad thing, wine can run certain things better than windows itself.
Which Windows Gamew do run better under wine? I don't use Wine or Linux on Desktop so I only heared that Wine usualy costs alot of performance (onto the same hardware) compared to native running Windows games.
I don't think those were games, it was some benchmark or something, I don't remember the details now.

One firsthand experience was trying to run Diablo2 on Windows7, it had it's palette corrupted. Supposedly this can be fixed by messing with compatibility settings or using hacks, meanwhile wine runs it correctly out of the box.

Was that a 32 or 64 bit version.  I haven't really messed with testing old games on newer versions of windows, so it is pretty interesting to hear things like this. 

Not that it's a bad thing, wine can run certain things better than windows itself.
Which Windows Gamew do run better under wine? I don't use Wine or Linux on Desktop so I only heared that Wine usualy costs alot of performance (onto the same hardware) compared to native running Windows games.

Deponia ran way better with WINE in Mint than it did in WinXP-32bit for me

and many of the old games, especcially 16bit era run in WINE and often not at all in the current Windoze.

@comradekingu:

GoG is a (formerly) small company that grew out of the big black market for games in 90s Poland.

Their main point was to make cheap DRM free games available without regional pricing so that piracy isn't neccessary anymore.

What I hear from them is, that they don't have much experience with Linux but they are learning and I know at least one team member that is very euphoric about Linux now and advertizing it strongly although before it was only the community that demanded files you can properly use in Linux.

They admitted some of the flaws in their former perspective towards Linux and are able to learn.

Hopefully they'll go this road further and use another building tool so that Debian is supported properly too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think those were games, it was some benchmark or something, I don't remember the details now.
Ah, ok. I'm waiting for the day when all(!) Windows games will run as good or better under Linux. Steam Box /OS could be the first step but I guess it will take many years until Linux get's a real breakthrough in Desktop-gaming. Until then, I will continue to use Windows, funny that games are the only reason I use Windows actualy. If MS would know that they would do more to keep gamers interested in Windows. I wonder if MS even know that their big Windows profit is mainly just because of games. :D
One firsthand experience was trying to run Diablo2 on Windows7, it had it's palette corrupted. Supposedly this can be fixed by messing with compatibility settings or using hacks, meanwhile wine runs it correctly out of the box.
A propper Glide Warapper tried? I only have tried D2 once under Vista but with Glide Wrappers it looks and plays like in the old days, no bugs spotted afaik.

A propper Glide Warapper tried? I only have tried D2 once under Vista but with Glide Wrappers it looks and plays like in the old days, no bugs spotted afaik.
Call Of Duty 2 is one that seems to come up a lot. I suspect this has a lot to do with Linux networking being slightly better than Windows.

funny that games are the only reason I use Windows actualy. If MS would know that they would do more to keep gamers interested in Windows. I wonder if MS even know that their big Windows profit is mainly just because of games. :D
Yes, I wonder why they don't focus an gamers since it's their last selling point for sure.

So many money in this company and nobody seems to hire someone with common sense and/or contact to reality for the executive suite. xD

BTW: This thread played an important role in the whole kaboodle.

I once got Interstate '76 to run with WINE, and it seemed much better than running it under Windows (lot less glitches, especially sound). Unfortunately I only got it to run  only once, no idea what got messed up after that. So in general I wouldn't be surprised if an old Windows game runs better under Linux+WINE than under Win7 or Win8 ... getting it to run may be just as hard under both systems, but you may find more helpful instructions for WINE.

Interstate 76, great and original game! :)

I've heared that AMD's "Mantle" may also come for Linux which could improve the gaming experience even more. Mantle also seemed to woke up the Microsoft guys because now they also try to make an highly optimized DX12. In the past it was not even clear if they want to make a DX12 at all.

Well, I have an Nvidia Card in my PC so I hope NVidia will also come with such an "high level" API solution like AMD did. I miss the old days where I could play Unreal 1 in it's full glory under Glide with my Voodoo2 Gfx Card (onto an Pen2 266MHz!!!) Unreal fluid in 800x600 onto an 266MHz PC! Can you imagine that today? I'm not even sure if the 1GHz Pandora could Run Unreal at all.

Nice to see Linux Games on GOG.

Don't care whether it's a native port or uses WINE.

Both doesn't work for me :( .

The GPU in my Laptop is from 2007 and ATI only offers a legacy driver that won't work with most recent Linux Stuff.

The open source driver doesn't have all the functions to run even native Linux games (DOTA 2 for example).

I think I need to start saving money for the latest Alienware :) .

Anyways, really great to see GOG supporting Linux.

Hopefully there will be more attention to Linux gaming in the next few years.

WINE or native doesn't make a difference to me as long as it runs.

It's not in MS's interests to make gaming on Windows as easy as it could be, because if it did you would be better off with a PC and a joypad than you would be with one of their Xboxes, which for a while you clearly were.

OTOH, I assume MS still makes it's main money through Office licenses. It gets what, about fifty quid for an OEM windows license on a big gaming PC build, and that's pretty much all they see. Meanwhile the business world needs an Office license for every machine it gets, and I currently have two PCs at work (though I blatted the Windows install on the desktop machine without even booting it).

Regarding GOG and regional pricing, I thought they still sold games to the Russians cheaper than the rest of us. Not an issue for me - if it reduces piracy there then that's good, and I wouldn't move to Russia even if I could get cheaper games.

I can only see seven entries tagged as 'new'.

FWIW, your links never seem to work for me, and from there I have to select ubuntu and mint myself. Possibly my setup though.

Back