Newbie-Will Wiz Run These Mame Games?

demonseed

Still Fresh
Hi
I apologize in advance if this has been asked however I have not had any luck on google or here. I am looking at buying the GP2X Wiz or maybe Caanoo but I am trying to find out if the latest Mame4all will run the games I am after. I am asking if anyone can advise me as I would really appreciate it.

Mame-Mortal Kombat 1,2,3, Nba Hangtime, Nba Jam, Street Fighter Series?

I have heard there is a midway speed up, but I am wondering how it works. Is there any video of this?

What about N64 emulation will it run? how well....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

As for mame, you can download the latest version from the openhandhelds archive and look in the gamelist.txt for supported games. As for N64 - no, never, don't even ask :D

I can say that Mortal Kombat 3 froze on me before load, NBA JAM seems too slow even at 825MHZ

Street Fighter II series runs great.

Can't attest to the rest but I will try Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 tonight.

Hey
Great thanks. Do you think that the Caanoo would be better? or should I save for a Pandora? seems expensive though. I suppose you could play Mortal Kombat and Nba Jam on Genesis emulator? What emulators will run good on it.. I thought I read psx works?

thanks
Jim

Demonseed:

I'm pretty new to the Wiz as well and had some luck with MAME, googling for the newest batch of MAME roms compatible with the gp2x wiz helped. I'm also using the newest MAME emulator from OpenHandhelds. Some of the Mame roms run but are slow, even with the Wiz overclocked. Some of the roms only run (at least for me and my limited experience) when you use the copy of the MAME emulator using the 100MB virtual memory file on the root of the SD card.

The little bit I have read about the Caanoo is that it is the same processor as the Wiz but that it has double the RAM, which may help out with being forced to use the MAME + virtual memory option (there is a RAM hack option which I believe is supposed to help with this on the WIZ but for me loading the ROM seems to crash when I open a rom which requires it). Someone with more knowledge may be able to correct me however. It seems a lot of people have had some luck with PSX emulation but have had to disable sound.

If you want to emulate N64 and PSX titles (with sound) your best bet is the Pandora, to the best of my knowledge. The Wiz is great though and for me has been pretty flawless with most emulation pre 32 bit consoles.

Arianon

I forgot to mention Street Fighter Zero 3(the Japanese version) runs perfectly in the Capcom emulator.

Arianon said:
Some of the roms only run (at least for me and my limited experience) when you use the copy of the MAME emulator using the 100MB virtual memory file on the root of the SD card.

Arianon

Hey, where I can find that MAME version ? (I'm asking for MAME without any roms)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr 2X said:
Arianon said:
Some of the roms only run (at least for me and my limited experience) when you use the copy of the MAME emulator using the 100MB virtual memory file on the root of the SD card.

Arianon

Hey, where I can find that MAME version ? (I'm asking for MAME without any roms)

iirc it's franxis latest 2.5 version

Last edited by a moderator:
Back