Newbie Question: Samba Networking & Media Streaming With Gp2x

Womble

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm a newbie, so I apologise if I'm asking an old old question...

I have a home network (wired & wireless, Linkstation NAS, Ubuntu box & XP machine) & I'm looking for a low-power terminal that I can use to stream audio from the network. I've looked at dedicated devices (Soundbridge, Pinnacles..) but I've been put off by them since they are very inflexible.

I came across the GP32X on the net & wonder if it can match my needs. What's good is..

- Support for regular battery types. So no expensive LithiumIon battery packs to worry about.
- Useful deskstand
- JTAG support, so there's low risk of bricking it.
- Large enough screen
- Linux based.
- Pretty fast booting times!

But!

- Can I mount samba shares & use a media player to play files (mp3, flac)? I had a look in the wiki & see that it's possible to use a USB/Ethernet adaptor.

- Has anyone ported Realplayer/Helix to this? It would be nice to use this to stream the BBC radio ;-)

Yours affectionately,

-Andy

Womble said:
Hi,

I'm a newbie, so I apologise if I'm asking an old old question...

I have a home network (wired & wireless, Linkstation NAS, Ubuntu box & XP machine) & I'm looking for a low-power terminal that I can use to stream audio from the network. I've looked at dedicated devices (Soundbridge, Pinnacles..) but I've been put off by them since they are very inflexible.

I came across the GP32X on the net & wonder if it can match my needs. What's good is..

- Support for regular battery types. So no expensive LithiumIon battery packs to worry about.
- Useful deskstand
- JTAG support, so there's low risk of bricking it.
- Large enough screen
- Linux based.
- Pretty fast booting times!

But!

- Can I mount samba shares & use a media player to play files (mp3, flac)? I had a look in the wiki & see that it's possible to use a USB/Ethernet adaptor.

- Has anyone ported Realplayer/Helix to this? It would be nice to use this to stream the BBC radio ;-)

Yours affectionately,

-Andy

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...ghlite=smbmount

So that would be a yes. A word of warning though, you would have to either a) buy a F100 to be able to use the built in USB to USB networking, F200 has had this functionality removed, so to use networking on a F200 you would need to buy a cradle and a USB network card (and make sure its supported, most are though, to be honest).

As for Helix, well, no. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back