New Vlc Player With Hw Acceleration

i think the HW acceleration will need to be in the kernel in order to enable a software app such as VLC to take advantage of all your MKV type files

This was stated in a blog post by ED a while ago - and was awaiting a kernel update (not a hotfix) to resolve - thing of it as happening in next major OS software update - see hotfixes and minor (2.1.1/2.1.2/2.1.3) updates

RajTakhar said:
i think the HW acceleration will need to be in the kernel in order to enable a software app such as VLC to take advantage of all your MKV type files
The kernel update gives the ability to send code to the DSP. The actual DSP code (the "hardware acceleration") is provided by the program, usually through the use of libraries.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
The kernel update gives the ability to send code to the DSP. The actual DSP code (the "hardware acceleration") is provided by the program, usually through the use of libraries.

In this case even the DSP itself is actually offloading the heavy lifting of the hardware acceleration to dedicated function blocks meant to accelerate decoding and encoding. We've known this sort of hardware was present in the IVA2.2 subsystem for a long time, but TI has recently released full details in the OMAP35xx TRM. It's a pretty interesting read. With this information it should hopefully be possible for someone smart to write an open source implementation, instead of relying on these binary blobs. That is, once DSP bridge is available, but we need that either way.

atomicthumbs said:
the IVA2.2 system's video acceleration component only does motion interpolation for H.264, H.263, and WMA 9

The documentation lists those as examples of supported codecs, it doesn't mean that the functions can't be used to accelerate decoding other formats. Same with the deblocking, which isn't even a required part of older codecs. Besides that, H.264 is the main one that's really even demanding enough to benefit from hardware acceleration.

It looks like there's still one module, iVLCD, that isn't documented. Maybe it will be in time, I dunno. I imagine it does things like DCT/iDCT, quantization, huffman encoding, etc.

I really hope we can take advantage of that new VLC features.
I guess at the Moment not a single Program uses the Pandora DSP, right? Same with NEON I guess. It already sounds like a miracle that we can use at least the SGX a little bit :lol:
I hope the new Kernel can do better, I don't want a Pandora with HW features that nobody can use.

Back