New User - Can The Gp32x Emulate Amiga/c64?

GonzoUK

Still Fresh
Hi, sorry for the simple question, but I have just found this device on the internet and it sounds amazing. i currently use a laptop for emulation, this means I can use it on the tain to work!

So doe sit mean I can play the following:

Amiga:
Kickoff 2
Turricans
Monkey Islands
AGA games?
Flashback

C64: Any

Mame:
Ghouls N Ghosts

Gonzouk said:
Hi, sorry for the simple question, but I have just found this device on the internet and it sounds amazing. i currently use a laptop for emulation, this means I can use it on the tain to work!

Amiga:
Kickoff 2
Turricans
Monkey Islands
AGA games?
Flashback

Mame:
Ghouls N Ghosts
Yes to all except AGA amiga games, only OCS/ECS. Flashback even works without an emulator there is a special interpretor that runs it very nicely... and by the way, its the gp2x not gp32x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Amiga is not the fastest one, however, Turrican works fine with 260MHz :D

Monkey Island works perfect with ScummVM, C64 games work easily and Ghouls'n'Ghosts runs fine on MAME, too :)

C64 games work brilliantly with VICE. One shortfall, emulating the 1541 drive is tricky... with full emulation on load times are comparable to the old days... You could say VICE emulates C64 "exactly".

You can save snapshots once the game is loaded though. And many games had speed loaders which work great.

Gonzouk said:

Amiga:
Kickoff 2
Turricans
Monkey Islands
AGA games?
Flashback

Mame:
Ghouls N Ghosts
If you are asking about the gp32 than the answer for amiga is no. C64 would be yes. There is a version of mame and I'm pretty sure it can play ghouls and ghosts/ghosts and goblins, but if I remember corectly it's a little slow, so you can always play the genesis version. As for the gp2x than the answer is yes to all, except AGA, only ecs/ocs chipset games are supported and compatibility isn't great, but is still decent.

Chris

Trevor Bradley said:
C64 games work brilliantly with VICE. One shortfall, emulating the 1541 drive is tricky... with full emulation on load times are comparable to the old days... You could say VICE emulates C64 "exactly".

You can save snapshots once the game is loaded though. And many games had speed loaders which work great.
Not *quite* true. I, for example, replaced the C64 KERNAL and 1541 ROM images in my GP2X VICE setup with JiffyDOS equivalents, which, without one other change to the setup, increases the speed of the emulated drive tenfold. Works quite well, with almost 100% of games on .d64 images, and doesn't require any changes beyond replacing two files.

Trevor Bradley said:
okay, but will loading + activity at the same time work?

i.e., does this or this work smoothly? :_)

Dear Kyle,

could you give some advice on using JiffyDOS with VICE?
What version of VICE do you use, which files did you exchange,
and what JD version do you use?

I can't get it to work ...

Cheers
Sebastian

could you give some advice on using JiffyDOS with VICE?
What version of VICE do you use, which files did you exchange,
and what JD version do you use?

I can't get it to work ...

please note that JiffyDos is not compatible with EVERYTHING. JiffyDos bypasses the kernal ( yes, not kernel ) of the c64 to speed up loading. this fucks up some ( all? ) custom loaders, meaning the game/app/demo will not work. try to load a singlefiler to see if that works. ( this should work fine for testing )

CeNTauR2 said:
Thanks for the warning. I will cope with this be having to copies of Vice on my SD card.
Can you help me with the installation.

I have this JiffyDos archive with different files inside.
http://cottonwood.servebbs.com/wiskow/JiffyDOS.zip

Cheers
Sebastian

Okay, here's what you do. Replace $VICE in these instructions with whatever your Vice2x directory is.

1. Rename "JiffyDOS_C64.bin" to "kernal".
2. Rename "JiffyDOS_1541.bin" to "dos1541".
3. Move "kernal" to the directory "$VICE/data/C64/", replacing the existing file.
4. Move "dos1541" to the directory "$VICE/data/DRIVES/", replacing the existing file.

You're done.

Kyle J Cardoza said:
Okay, here's what you do. Replace $VICE in these instructions with whatever your Vice2x directory is.

1. Rename "JiffyDOS_C64.bin" to "kernal".
2. Rename "JiffyDOS_1541.bin" to "dos1541".
3. Move "kernal" to the directory "$VICE/data/C64/", replacing the existing file.
4. Move "dos1541" to the directory "$VICE/data/DRIVES/", replacing the existing file.

You're done.
Thanks for your answer. Tried it, but afterwards nothing will load. Even T64 won't work
anymore.
The original dos1541 file is 16kb, the one from the
archive is only 8kb. I also tried with the C1541 file, no luck.

The error log gives me this using the 8kb file:
Loading system file `/tmp/mnt/sd/vice/data/drives/dos1541'.
ROM /tmp/mnt/sd/vice/data/drives/dos1541: short file.
IECDriveROM: Error - 1541 ROM image not found. Hardware-level 1541 emulation is not available.

Using the 16kb c1541 file it says something about not being a valid rom file or something.
Are there integrity checks implemented in vice? What Version of Vice do you run?

Cheers
Sebastian

Back