New To The World

DJActor777

Still Fresh
OK, here come the questions. Because, well, I know nothing about coding and stuff but I have had my hand in the Mame world.

I was trying to download the mame4all but for some reason, it was not a .zip file. Where was I supposed to load it too?
For a newbie, isn't there a place with full dummy instructions to use? I tried to load the file to the memory card but I think I did something wrong.

I am so in need of assistance. But the Wix 32 is awesome so far. Glad I got rid of the PSP, if I can get this to work.

I won't ask you to be more specific, I'll just write out details so you can get answers right away. ;)
-When you downloaded mame4all, you probably got a .7z file. Search in Google to find an application that will extract .7z archives (I know WinRAR does it).
-I can't lead you to a place where you can download roms, but you place your mame roms in the "roms" folder within the extracted mame4all folder. The roms do not need to be extracted (they can stay as .zips).
-Now, copy the extracted folder to the "game" folder on your sd card.
-Load up the mame4all.gpe file by running the Launcher in the Wiz, and then you can select which rom to play.
-You can create a shortcut for the mame4all .gpe, but I'll wait to explain that until you get this working at least.

Tell me how it goes! Glad to help out. :D

WinRAR is indeed an excellent program for extracting a multitude of different archived files including .7z .RAR and .ZIP

As for the MAME ROMs - I'm afraid it's not quite as simple as chickendung makes it sound. Unlike ROMs for Megadrive, SNES, PC Engine etc. etc. MAME ROM's need to be the correct version for the MAME emulator, so in all likelihood any that you do download won't be in the right format, so won't work even if you place them where they should go.

However there is a piece of software that will help you to get your MAME ROMs into the correct format for the emulator - go here to find out more http://easyemu.mameworld.info/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html The instructions might seem daunting at first, but it's actually pretty simple to use.

As ever the community will give you a hand if you get stuck. Most questions about emulation have already been answered, so I recommend trying to do a SEARCH for your answer first though.

Back