New Retro Joystic Availble

Very cool, and damn cheap too. I had to pay more than that just for the chip to convert my Megadrive pad to USB. Then I had to solder it.

If I hadn't spent so much money in the last few months I'd get one, just because.

Squirrel61 said:
I always preferred the Competition Pro, as it's more precise and responsive.

I've got one of these - very much recommended for 8bit emulation. Use mine with the gp2x and cradle (for tv-out and usb), although bit of a hassle to get all set up. Hoping will be used more with the pandora and tv out.

But the Atari one looks cool too. I have a set of Atari controls from one of those tv retro combinations, so could potentially just get that converted to usb - may be cheaper via a simple 9pin to usb converter...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use an Atmega8 and a 12mhz crystal to convert anything to USB :D

http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/prjhid.html

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/electr...ue_en.php#games

Depending on how much stuff you have it can cost between $5 and $15 to DIY. I think I spent $50 and had enough to do 5 adapters (note that just one Atmega8 can handle 2x PS1/PS2 or 4x NES/SNES controllers :) ).

This is only low-speed USB, so you would need a mini-USB 2.0 hub, but they are cheap and available.

That is a sweet looking Atari, and I am in heaven looking at a glop-top with 10 labeled button pads on a PCB B)

First off sorry for posting in the wrong forum.
Curt the designer/seller is a hacker at heart I think,and certainly likes to look after the enthusiast, the Atari Flashback 2 had the markings on the PCB where to solder a cartridge slot to run genuine Atari 2600 games, how cool is that?
Word is that the initial 25000 units are selling fast, many people are buying 2 or more.
Curt will also be working on a paddle controller early next year for Arkanoid and Pong goodness(maybe a bit of Tempest 2000 too :D
And although the stick looks like the Atari stick from the 70's it is based on the Atari Flashback II stick which has a much better (more precise) feel than the original. I actually like these sticks a lot, I find the Wico and the Compy pro too stiff.

nubie said:
I just use an Atmega8 and a 12mhz crystal to convert anything to USB :D

http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/prjhid.html

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/electr...ue_en.php#games

Depending on how much stuff you have it can cost between $5 and $15 to DIY. I think I spent $50 and had enough to do 5 adapters (note that just one Atmega8 can handle 2x PS1/PS2 or 4x NES/SNES controllers :) ).

This is only low-speed USB, so you would need a mini-USB 2.0 hub, but they are cheap and available.

That is a sweet looking Atari, and I am in heaven looking at a glop-top with 10 labeled button pads on a PCB B)

Thanks for the links, interesting stuff to read. But I think the easiest way to do this for most users is buying a $5 USB gamepad and rewire an Atari-style joystick to it. After all, the average user can't program Atmega's and solder circuits.

How hard is the atmega and soldering job for a beginner? I've been thinking about getting in to electronics (reprap and openeeg, mmm), but I've got no experience of it. This sounds like it wouldn't be as hard as building a reprap machine, so maybe it would work as good practice for the real deal.

Wish he had an option that didn't depend on giving Google your CC; I mean, I've bought tonnes of stuff onlne so it seems odd to mistrust Google more than joe-california-company, but still.. just feels creepy to feed Goog the credit card :p

jeff

klikklak said:
How hard is the atmega and soldering job for a beginner? I've been thinking about getting in to electronics (reprap and openeeg, mmm), but I've got no experience of it. This sounds like it wouldn't be as hard as building a reprap machine, so maybe it would work as good practice for the real deal.

How hard it is depends on which version of the atmega you take. If you use the DIP packaged controller, soldering is pretty easy and you can use a breadboard or experimental pcb to build a circuit. If you use the TQFP versions, soldering is harder and you might need a breakout pcb for experimenting.

I'd say, start by buying a devkit as a kit (like this one) and build it up as an exercise. You need the devkit anyway to program and debug your atmega. And what about the AVR Butterfly, build your own Pandora (well, not quite but it's cheap and fun).

Back