[ new ported game ] SMW: Super Mario War (with a question...)

SvOlli

Certified Guru
Website
svolli.org
Hi there,

since the deadline has been moved one day, I _might_ have the time to throw in another game port in the competition: Super Mario War or smw for short. Biggest problem was to come up with a source for the sourcecode. I found an archive of version 1.7 April Fools Edition, that compiled pretty much out-of-the-box. As far as I know, the last release was 1.8 beta 2. All versions later than smw1.7afe did not compile straight away for the Pandora.

So here's the question: since the game from about 2008, but not in the repo, hasn't really anyone ported it yet to Pandora?

I'm just asking because my schedule for this weekend is tight, and I don't want to rush out a release, just to get disqualified. A release will come, since the game's too much fun to not have it on the Pandora, only the release date will be affected.

Greetings,

SvOlli

Old PNDs had broken PXML. Not enough broken to impact libPND on the pandora but not fully standard. Beside the standard changed a bit when the repo was setup.

So all these havent been uploaded to the repo because it would have mean updating the PXML for all theses PNDs and no dev took the time doing that kind of boring job with not a single chalange

EDIT: btw I did not check, I just remember playing it on pandora :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, that SMW freezes sometimes (depending on Level, etc. in my opinion).

So an updated port might be good :)

Hi there,

since the deadline has been moved one day, I _might_ have the time to throw in another game port in the competition: Super Mario War or smw for short. Biggest problem was to come up with a source for the sourcecode. I found an archive of version 1.7 April Fools Edition, that compiled pretty much out-of-the-box. As far as I know, the last release was 1.8 beta 2. All versions later than smw1.7afe did not compile straight away for the Pandora.

So here's the question: since the game from about 2008, but not in the repo, hasn't really anyone ported it yet to Pandora?

I'm just asking because my schedule for this weekend is tight, and I don't want to rush out a release, just to get disqualified. A release will come, since the game's too much fun to not have it on the Pandora, only the release date will be affected.

Greetings,

SvOlli

Why don't you check the previous port, test it a little, and check if there's any difference vs your recent one ?

In case the new one is more stable, more smooth, etc... it may be able to enter the competition. Please check and consider it :)

The current available port really froze a lot for me, so a stable running port would really be appreciated from my side.  :)

the 1.7/ 1.8 source has been around for ages, doesnt seem anyone ever took up the project when the author died. And unfortunately it really wasnt fully stable for all maps.

I still have the files and everything i used to make the original pnd, it really just needs a pxml update. There were a number of things i put in the old archives ages ago that ive never got around to updating and reuploading to the repo. I should get to it, but its one of those tedious thankless jobs.

I found this one, but it didn't compile out of the box, and since SMW was intended as a quick hack, I stepped back in time.

https://github.com/neagix/smw-next

If anyone wants to give my build a try, I can offer a tar.gz that can be unpacked to ramdisk (e.g. /tmp) and run from there via commandline. That's what I've got available right now.

Back