New NEW emulator for GP32? (nesterGP)

There's another thread about this that's already been pushed down off the latest threads list on the front page :p

Sorry guys but the NES sucks! I loaded some of those games and they were pretty crummy. I started my console gaming life with Sega Master System cos I hated the NES graphic style...true some may be playable and graphics arnt everything but those NES games sure wernt pretty

Sorry guys but the NES sucks! I loaded some of those games and they were pretty crummy. I started my console gaming life with Sega Master System cos I hated the NES graphic style...true some may be playable and graphics arnt everything but those NES games sure wernt pretty
And you had to inform us of your opinion because?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is definetely a matter of personal preference. Discussing videogaming preferences is almost like discussing religion. ;)
For instance - I started playing videogames in the early eighties - one of my preferred games on the arcade (at that time) was Rally X. I was awestruck with the excellent graphics of Xevious. Truxton was excellent!
Later I had an Atari 2600 - I loved Keystone Kapers, Pitfall, Pressure Cooker, Megamania... the graphics were basic to say the least. But gameplay was absolutely addictive.
I totally skipped the NES and SMS console (nothing against those - my parents just did not have the money by then). At that time I was fiddling around with the ZX Spectrum... which was not a beast for gaming but had some good conversions. I also played a while with some friend's MSX - the Konami games for that system were a blast and Zanac was a total gem.
Back to the arcades I got hooked again on some NeoGeo games such as Aero Fighters 2 and Metal Slug.
I am impressed with some of the arcade conversions on the NES, like Bubble Bobble, Burger Time and Son Son. Sure the graphics were simple (and the arcade graphics sure were) but the gameplay is king.
The SMS has some decent titles - nice graphics and music. I find Sonic a little too convoluted for my tastes - but definetely there are plenty of Sonic fans that might flame me for this one.
Bottom line: keep your options opened, concentrate on gameplay and you will find excellent games on all systems. Atari 2600, Atari 800, MSX, Spectrum, SMS, NES, Atari ST, PC Engine... they all have excellent games that will sure fit your style.
And they are all being emulated on the GP32. What a dream come true.

That's an ironic contrast, I hated the master system :p

Ah well, to each his own. (how well does the emulator run? Better than little john?)

sega master system.. i have always "wanted" to like it, and I still think it's inherently cool and has a couple of nice looking games. But I have NEVER seen anything on it that was quite so innovative and captivating as the groundbreaking NES titles were. There is just nothing as comparable on SMS to the likes of Zelda, SMB, Metroid, Castlevania, etc. Ok so SMS had 2-player Double Dragon (a big deal at the time), Phantasy Star (first 4Mb game!) and even those wonderful 3D glasses (an effect that I still find impressive) -- and of course the lineup of sega srcade hits -- but I never found myself getting so drawn into any of it. Genesis was another matter, of course.. by that time, Sega was able to woo some developers and get a little more support for their side.

From what I've seen of NesterGP, it's a marked improvement over the current public release of LittleJohn (though I am not sure about the other NES emulators out there). First off, sound emulation is FAR supperior to LittleJohn's, mainly because sound does not crackle when you are not running the game at 60fps. When you're emulating a game on NesterGP with sound turned off and using the auto-frameskip option, speed is slighty better than LittleJohn set on default frameskip and no sound

It's not "perfect emulation" by any means, but still, I'd recommend using NesterGP.

sega is just unlucky in consoles i was always a ninty fan because........it was just better and it had a seal of approval which did actually mean something

personally sega makes amazing arcade games. first time i played house of the dead on that massive screen i was hooked then there was hotd2 which was more like town of the dead.

and i played the new virtua cop a week ago and its not too hard great grafics and overall just great fun

The Sega Master System was the superior machine to the cruddy NES alright...i will always be mystified why the Yanks went ape over it.
On the other hand, having the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and Commodore 64 around meant the consoles were irrelevant anyway.

As a "Yank" who owned a Master System and not an NES back then, I can honestly say I don't see why you Brits went ape over the Master System. If I didn't get an Amiga soon after, I would've ended up with an NES.

Why?

It had better games, and more of them. I really found that out thanks to emulation in recent years. Sure the SMS had slightly better graphics abilities, but aside from a handful of very good games, the NES had it beat. Graphics never trump gameplay. And SMS graphics weren't _that_ much better really, still one hardware scroll, limited sprite engine - mainly it had better color IMO. Soundwise, they seem equal to me overall.

As another "Yank" I agree! I had both systems and other than only slightly better graphics the SMS didn't have anything over the NES.

Why is it that "Britts" like the Spectrum. What a piece of crap that was. That Atari 8-Bit line of computers were far superior. Is it true that the Queen knighted the creator of the Sinclair??? What's up with that?

man they'll knight anyone these days.

paul mccartney... ok, i guess i can understand that. Elton John.. hmm. Didn't they knight one of the Rolling Stones? Hell, didn't they Knight OZZY?? (or did I just dream that?)

--nuff said, right there--

You know how each yank's year of advancement is equal to 10 british years of advancement :p

Didn't the Nes do better than the SMS in the UK? im pretty sure it did and from a personal point of view I remember a lot of ppl I knew owned Nes's only 2 ppl ive ever met and conversed with about games owned a SMS. The SMS games where mostly junk with a few gems scattered in there the NES was pure gold IMO (coming form a guy who owned both).

And who's mouthing the brits ? Owt side now! i'll wrap a frigging cricket bat round yer noggin, ya' wanker! ;)

Yes the queen did night Sinclair and he rides at the forefront of the British army in shining plate armour, atop his firey steed (C5), poking the bottoms of all who would oppose the crown with his mighty lance . Didn't you see him on CNN or BBC World News prodding Sadam out of Iraq a few months back? Hail Sir Clive Sincalir: Wonder Boy in the Middle east.

What am I talking about? .... I don't know....

far as I know (NOT being a citizen of the UK, hell never even having been there to visit) SMS was much more popular in Europe than the NES ever was, back in the day. Sure, Nintendo did have a prescence of course, but for some reason the local software houses must have more strongly embraced the Sega console? Anyway, I remember reading quite a few foriegn mags back in the day and that was the general consensus. Also in retrospect, the SMS had a MUCH larger catalog of games over there than was released here. But, who cares..

I love these sorts of arguments! We all know it is a bit silly but with each generation of console, we get attached to one machine over another and never really lose that. In 3 years time people will be having same debate about XBox2 vs Playstation3...

Back