New "mobile Console" Plays Pc Games

That unlocking SIM is very misterious... <_<
But we now know that windows XP handhelds are coming, oh MAME sweet MAME...

For that money, i would rather buy a new grapics adaptor... besides:I thank god that i hadn´t eaten something before seeing THAT design !!! :blink:
@Johndifo: Fuck Win XP! Fuck Microsoft! AAAARRRGH!!!!!!

Why are you people so hot on new MobileConsoles? You have got the GP32. There is no console and there will not be one in the next year that can mess with it. Sure - there may be some GBA emu or something like that, but nothing that is worth to shell out >100Bucks.
Why don't you wait for the next generation on which PSP etc. can be emulated?

I still say the GP was the best invetment I ever made. I dont want to sound like a fanboy but I really dont want this machine to come out. After all the hard work thats gone in to port pc software to the GP. People may start to feel it was a waste of time and effort. But I stick by saying that it isnt. It makes GP owners that dont want to fork out loadsa cash to own 1 of those things. An it makes using the software more satisfactory an also software is free.

At the end of the day, what is the point?

All the SIM card unlocking and hot swappable batteries (giving you an *awesome* two hours) is just a waste of time...

Your GP32 is simple to use and kicks arse with the sort of games that hand helds are good at.

At the price that thing is going to cost, there is hardly likely to be much of a homebrew scene, which just means that you'll be stuck playing the crap that they think will sell the system and make them money.

The reason we're so lucky with the GP32 is because Gamepark never really had the marketing power to sell the thing, so they opened it up to anybody to develop for, which is why we've got all the stuff we have.

My prediction (for what it is worth) is that none of the new handhelds are actually going to do that well. The only handheld that has ever *really* taken off was the Gameboy - because it was cheap.

The GP32 is the next best thing to the Gameboy, but that's cos nobody knows about it, and therefore we've got all this emulation, etc.

if the design didnt suck, the price wasnt £300 more than id be willing to pay and the battery life was more than 2 hours it would be THE BEST thing ever

True... but only if the price wasn't so darn (if realistically in terms of hardware costs) high. As it stands, you might as well buy yourself a palmPC with that sort of money. Plus, I'm very skeptical about the availability of homebrew in most instances where encryption is involved. And yes, I was skeptical about it in the GP when I first heard about it. But since I waited til some substantial time after its release until I got it, not as much (i.e. when there was a sourceforge-esque projects-page listing an awful lot of things, it was fairly obvious that homebrew was taking off well).

The reason we're so lucky with the GP32 is because Gamepark never really had the marketing power to sell the thing, so they opened it up to anybody to develop for, which is why we've got all the stuff we have.

Thats true. And I believe Sony and Nintendo one day will understand the power of the home developers. Maybe this next generation of open systems, and the actual GP32, lead to an open source PSP2 or something.

The most important thing in this new console its not in the console itself (I think the design and the SIM sucks) but in the type of environment you may expect in the near future handhelds. :lol:

Johndifo posted on May 13 2004 at 04:36 PM said:
The most important thing in this new console its not in the console itself (I think the design and the SIM sucks) but in the type of environment you may expect in the near future handhelds. :lol:
Or not, if it bombs... we shall see...

Last edited by a moderator:
WinXP on a console?
Great, I always wanted to wait 1 minute booting up my handheld...
BTW: I've never seen a windows machine with smooth scrolling!
(No, not even the newest 3GHz Pentiums with the newest graphics hardware...)

Well seeing as it's essentualy a low powered laptop in a clamshell case with rigor mortis, once that de-crippeling SIM card is in it, you can run whatever you want. And experience the joy of trying to use windows XP on a 500Mhz processor, with 128mb ram, and at straight VGA resolution....

I'm trying to see the good points to it I really am, but inless you can plugin a key board and mouse it's kind of useless, but ~£300 is a touch steep for what it is.

well its using a hacked version of windows xp that will load up at the same speed as windows ce did...

Has got very high specs though

I will get a job and save up that much money to get a pocket pc!!
Or maybe that or a psp. I like the idea to be able to run anything you want.
Nortan antivirus!!
As give me two seconds with it and I will be being bombarded by trojans and viruses.

Back