New F200- What Is The Best Firmware?

CJ Maynard

Still Fresh
Hey all,

I am very new here- I just got my F200, and I spent most of the time waiting for it to arrive lurking here, trying to learn as much info as I can. This way, I won't have any annoying, simple-to-solve questions to ask! One thing I am stuck on though, and I can't find a definitive answer. I got my F200 from GamerSection.ca, and it came with firmware 4.0. After reading all the problems people have had with later FW's, am I best just staying put at 4.0? I use it mainly for emulation of consoles and handhelds, and so far, everything seems fine. Will I gain anything from the upgrade? Or am I just asking for a slew of touch-screen problems? Advice would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks-
CJ

(also, a big thanks to the people developing software- I came over from an IPAQ pocket PC, the gp2x emulators are amazing in comparison!)

Stick with 4.0! You're lucky yours came with it. The later firware offers some minor tweaks which sound ok, but any homebrew that uses the touchscreen won't work properly. Notaz released a hack for this but I think there were still some drawbacks.

If you use Gmenu2x as your launcher (and if you're not, you should be), the improvements to the default gui will rarely be seen anyway. So yeah, stick with firmware 4.0. :)

As Gruso pointed out, stick with FW 4.0.0. There is nothing to be gained when you are just using it for emulators and homebrew.

Updating to FW 4.1.1 will not only cause the touchscreen for homebrew to break (although notaz has a fix for this already), but sound will also become too weak for some apps (even at max volume), and autorun will also break, so GMenu2X will be a pain to use.

Warning: To anyone that is reading this thread, if your F-200 did not come with FW 4.0.0, do not downgrade or you'll brick it.

Wow- well, thank you Gruso and Manjuu- I suspected as much, but wanted to be sure. I'll stay put for the time being.

Thanks again-

CJ

Manjuu and Gruso are 100% right.
The only minior advantages from Firmware 4.1.1 I noticed are:

-Fixed problems with the sample rate, causing a few programs to fail with firmware 4.0.0 (examples are some Allegro based games and Java apps like Pipes)

-Fixed wrong language in the touchscreen calibration screen

-Added wallpaper support to the original menu

-Some enhancements to the build in photo viewer

-The start sound is not so loud anymore

Regards,
Stephan

Back