New Beagleboard-Xm

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
Wired.com review

Hi all, I just stumbled on this. I'm still only half way through this article, but the highlights seem to be 1Ghz A8, 512mb memory.

Let the discussion begin. Personally I think I'll get this one, especially since I never got around to getting the earlier model.

EDIT1: Beagleboard-xM product page
* Super-scalar ARM Cortex TM -A8
* 512-MB LPDDR RAM
* High-speed USB 2.0 OTG port optionally powers the board
* On-board four-port high-speed USB 2.0 hub with 10/100 Ethernet
* DVI-D (digital computer monitors and HDTVs)
* S-video (TV out)
* Stereo audio out/in
* High-capacity microSD slot and 4-GB microSD card
* JTAG
* Camera port

Purchase link: buy
SOLD OUT! in three days. 6 weeks until next batch.

EDIT2: not actually sold out, their page went live 3 days ago and they have no stock.
Anyway, I started dreaming of upping my current setup with 4x22" screens pivoted, but I've got a 26" that I wondered about where I'd put it. Looks like this combined with xbmc will work as a telly just fine.

I read about this also, it is a more complete PC that is for sure. I've been holding out getting a Beagleboard until XBMC runs well on one. This will still have the 720p limitation but that doesn't bug me as my HDTV is 720p anyway.

I finally broke down and saw an eeebox on woot.com and decided to give up on waiting for BB to run XBMC and just get the eee box. If the BB-XM sells for less than $200 and XBMC runs on it I'll be upset. The eee box will do 1080p but uses more power. Oh well, can't win them all.

I'm really quite excited by this!

I've had my eye on the original BeagleBoard since it came out, but the Xm has enough resources (especially memory and ports) that you could do quite a lot with it in terms of replacing low-end PCs in a variety of jobs. And it's fanless! Lately I've been contemplating getting a second-hand Power Mac G4 Cube to use as a silent web-browsing machine, but this is actually faster!

I wonder how much it'd be to ship one from the States? (Hopefully not much seeing as it's the size and weight of a block of Post-It notes.)

Firefox said:
I'm really quite excited by this!

I've had my eye on the original BeagleBoard since it came out, but the Xm has enough resources (especially memory and ports) that you could do quite a lot with it in terms of replacing low-end PCs in a variety of jobs. And it's fanless! Lately I've been contemplating getting a second-hand Power Mac G4 Cube to use as a silent web-browsing machine, but this is actually faster!

I wonder how much it'd be to ship one from the States? (Hopefully not much seeing as it's the size and weight of a block of Post-It notes.)
There are a few companies that make boards like the XM that has all the same stuff. If you search these forums then I'm sure you can find them. The BB has been behind for quite a while, it would be my last choice but with the XM I might get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. I've had my eye on the IGEPv2 for a couple of weeks, too:

http://www.igep-platform.com/

It's about the same price as the BeagleBoard xM (though being made within the EU I wouldn't be risking getting hit up for import duty plus "administration fees").

The downside is that it runs at 720MHz rather than 1GHz, and doesn't have the integrated USB hub. But to make up for it it's got integrated WiFi and Bluetooth.

Hmmm...

If XBMC officially supports the BB-XM then that is what I'll get. If they just officially support Cortex A8 or whatever I'll shop around.

Could someone confirm for me as to whether or not the beagleboard can play x264 720p mkvs, and if not, what is holding it back?
I have read a lot of conflicting reports regarding this, and I am not sure what the bottom line actually is.

Also, the xbmc project for the beagleboard has been renewed: http://xbmc.org/author/topfs2/

Transmition said:
Could someone confirm for me as to whether or not the beagleboard can play x264 720p mkvs, and if not, what is holding it back?
I have read a lot of conflicting reports regarding this, and I am not sure what the bottom line actually is.

Also, the xbmc project for the beagleboard has been renewed: http://xbmc.org/author/topfs2/
I think the XBMC team were playing a 720p x264 stream in the first demo video. I wouldn't worry about it until the XBMC team has it running, the x264 that is, I'm sure it can but I'm not sure. Were you thinking of not using XBMC and setting a distro up to play video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back